Building a 6/0 114 h

Started by broschro, September 23, 2017, 02:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

This real is going to be used for big bottom fish. I have a nice donor reel on the bench now. It's been a while since I have tinkered with Reels or been on the site. Besides the SS gear sleeve what are some of the things that y'all would do to get this real ready to pull up some big grouper?

RowdyW

Put in a fresh Penn 5 stack, service it and try it out. That's what that reel was designed for &
(medium trolling). Load it up with 80# mono & a top shot of 100# braid. The only way to get an advantage over that reel is to go to a 2 speed reel ($$$).         Rudy

Bill B

X2 what Rudy said....not much after that except maybe a new handle.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

broschro

Where can I get a aluminum spool?

RowdyW

Penn Parts. Order the one for the Chinese 114H2, it's cheaper & the same diamensions.

Bryan Young

I have a new USA aluminum spool for $50 shipped.

Wow, jus looked at the Chinese version. That will be about $40 shipped unless you buy more and reduce shipping to free.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

joel8080

Oceanside,California

RowdyW

A good used one can be picked up from J D Treasures (a member here) on ebay for about $25.

RowdyW

Quote from: joel8080 on September 23, 2017, 04:37:19 PM
Change the dog to SS.

Joel8080
Only if you use a ss sleeve. Brass to brass will work fine for a very, very long time.

Army_of_One

A better/more comfortable handle is where I would start.  Adam's(Three se7ens) offset handle with Alan's 5/0 grip is a excellent combo. 
Another day in Paradise!

troutman561

How "built" do you wanna go? As I found out, it can be expensive, but worth it!

Whit

Not sure what frame you have, but if it is just a chrome plated brass reelseat and bars, and you might get into something big and/or pelagic, I'd consider upgrading that.

My favorite upgrade is the full tubular frame made by Penn.  Depending on your current setup, you may have to also get new outer rings with the five bolt spread.

Rock solid.

broschro

Thinking new ss gear sleeve and dog , drag washers, and power handel. I will upgrade to aluminum frame later on down the road. Thanks for all the replies.