Okuma Makaira Gold reel upgrades

Started by friendlyfish, September 01, 2016, 08:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

friendlyfish

Hello,

I live in Australia and have a few Makaira gold reels. Over here Okuma do not stock the special edition models unfortunately, however they are available to buy from a select few stores. Problem is the people who do the servicing for Makaira in Australia do not have special edition reel parts so down the track this could be a problem if owning one. I would love to be able to upgrade my Mak 15II handle or even just handle Knob. When I contacted Okuma reps over here and asked if I could get a 20 or 30 size handle arm or handle knob I was told that it would not fit my Mak 15II. Is this the correct information? I have read many post of people upgrading there Mak handles/Knobs. I'm thinking the upgraded parts must be from special edition models and not gold models.
Seems I'm just going to have to have the regular handle/knob (which is perfectly ok) but just disappointing that I can not upgrade it.

Bryan Young

Quote from: friendlyfish on September 01, 2016, 08:13:15 AM
Hello,

I live in Australia and have a few Makaira gold reels. Over here Okuma do not stock the special edition models unfortunately, however they are available to buy from a select few stores. Problem is the people who do the servicing for Makaira in Australia do not have special edition reel parts so down the track this could be a problem if owning one. I would love to be able to upgrade my Mak 15II handle or even just handle Knob. When I contacted Okuma reps over here and asked if I could get a 20 or 30 size handle arm or handle knob I was told that it would not fit my Mak 15II. Is this the correct information? I have read many post of people upgrading there Mak handles/Knobs. I'm thinking the upgraded parts must be from special edition models and not gold models.
Seems I'm just going to have to have the regular handle/knob (which is perfectly ok) but just disappointing that I can not upgrade it.
I believe the handle arms have different sized openings where it secures to the gear shaft.  I'm not absolutely sure of the handle securing to the arm. I'm sure Alan knows this one.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

friendlyfish

Would be fantastic if Allen could fill us in with his knowledge on this one. I'm certain the 15SEa models come with either a larger handle arm or a larger handle grip or possibly both. This means it must be possible to upgrade the standard gold 15II handle or grip or even both.
The question is what to order? a standard 20-30size handle arm/grip (Makaira Australia told me will not fit??) or a SEa model 20-30size handle arm or grip (which they do not sell in Australia)
Please help. I live remote so to order this I need to get it wright first time.
Thanks again.

Rivverrat

The 20/30 handle knob will work on your gold Mak. It's a regular swap done  by Okuma fans. It's what I use on all my Andros 12's.
After trying  many different style knobs it has become my favorite & one I'm fitting to other makes of reels....Jeff

friendlyfish

Thanks Jeff I will take your word for it and see if I can order the standard 20 size handle grip. Okuma Australia have already told me it won't fit on the 15, but as you say and other post I have read seem to suggest it will.

Rivverrat

Point to remember. When installing new knob you need to put pressure on the pin the knob turns on, forcing it into it's machine cut out in the handle as you tighten the screw....Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 07, 2016, 03:01:29 AM
The 20/30 handle knob will work on your gold Mak. It's a regular swap done  by Okuma fans. It's what I use on all my Andros 12's.
After trying  many different style knobs it has become my favorite & one I'm fitting to other makes of reels....Jeff

I have my eyes set on an andros 12, I must remember to upgrade to this T-bar
The Baja Guy

alantani

I've been happy with the length of the arms on all of the reels. I just changed out the grips to the t-bars. It's easy to do.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!