Manual for a Abu Ambassadeur Ultra Mag XL Plus Model 840600

Started by bamsch, March 16, 2024, 04:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamsch

I have a Abu Ambassadeur Ultra Mag XL Plus Model 840600 reel I bought in the 80's brand new but it has been in storage for over 30 years. I brought it out to try and start using it again.  When I try to use it the casting operation of the reel seems odd.  I did a minor cleaning of the reel beforehand and the reel was not used much during its life and is in pristine condition.

I cannot remember how the casting action was supposed to work and cannot find my manual for it.  It has a trigger that can be set for normal or fast casting.  When set to normal pressing the trigger releases the spool and it stays released while holding or letting up the trigger.  If set to Fast Cast, pressing the trigger releases the spool only as long as the trigger is held down. once the trigger is lifted it locks the spool to the crank.  I was wondering if this is normal operation for this reel.  I find it very hard to get the timing and coordination correct for pressing the trigger when casting in either scenario. The trigger press is a little firm making it hard to press at just the right time when casting. I could set it to normal and press the trigger and then hold the spool with my thumb until I want it to release which works but I am not sure if that is the way this reel is supposed to work.  It seems like it should work by keeping the reel locked when you press the trigger and keeping it locked until you let up on the trigger.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Garret

ExcessiveAngler

Maybe you can get this moved into the right forum as well, this forum is for Abu Garcia spinning reels.
But I'll try to give you a little help.
I think you're referring to what is called nowadays, as a flipping switch?
There should be a thumb bar on the rear of the reel, that's to let you cast.
Then there should be a little lever/switch on the side of the reel. One setting lets you just cast normally when you push the thumb bar down, leaving it in constant free spool.
The other setting, you push the thumb bar down, then release it when you want the spool to stop spinning. Those old Ultramags are nice casting reels, for very  light weights.

oc1

Wasn't the intention to eliminate the need to turn the handle in order to engage the spool?

Gfish

Here's mine. In non-F mode, cast with the thumb-bar depressed(labeled "FAST CAST" in the picture, but it is both for fast cast and normal casting)and thumb the spool to control the cast. Like oc1 says; in "F" mode(for short, quick casts) keep your thumb on the fast cast button and control(stop) the cast by letting up on the button and it will stay in gear, as well as stop short for you.
Bass fishermen like this reel in the fast cast mode for short, quick casts towards brush from a boat. Kind of a stupid place to put the "FAST CAST" label, maybe it should be next to the slide lever labeled "F".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!