Penn 99 Silverbeach with stuck handle side

Started by Decker, September 25, 2017, 01:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Guys, I just bought a beautiful 99 reel that has the right-side take apart design.  I have several other reels like this and am familiar with taking them apart, but this one is stuck. Although there is not much oxidation on the reel, there must be just enough to keep the rings from releasing.  It won't budge, even after squirting it with WD40 and letting it sit a while, and I'm afraid I will crack the plate if I apply too much force. 

Any suggestions?

Swami805

Put it in the freezer over night. Worked like a charm on a few mag powers I couldn't budge
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Decker

Quote from: Swami805 on September 25, 2017, 02:04:28 PM
Put it in the freezer over night. Worked like a charm on a few mag powers I couldn't budge

Thanks (Sheridan, right?)   Going to try that tonight.   /Joe

Rancanfish

Yeah that should work.

Check the chrome take apart ring to see if it is marked w/ part # ending in 250N. If so, I found the channel/holes that line up the pins had to be ground.  The original parts went together easier.

I replace them with rings off old Jiggy parts reels.

This applies to all the take apart reels, (squidder, surfmaster, jigmaster).

Definite pet peeve of mine. I won't keep a reel that fights me.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

vilters

I have found at times that heat applied carefully from a heat gun will loosen plastic things I cannot heat w/ a torch. I like to apply penetrant then heat, repeat as necessary. good luck! and let us know how it goes...

foakes

Typically, just the ring holes not lining up properly -- add a little time and maybe a touch of corrosion = seemingly stuck.

I just put on a pair of rubber gloves -- hold the quick-take-apart spring loaded knob in the outward position -- then twist it both ways -- back and forth.

The last time I did not do it this way -- I ended up breaking a rare sideplate on Lannie's reel a few years ago -- had to replace the plate -- thanks to Randy at  Vintage Offshore having one.

These quick take aparts do not always line up -- just need a touch of a file in one of the holes.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

Quote from: Swami805 on September 25, 2017, 02:04:28 PM

YEP!  Left it in the freezer for two hours and "click," it opened right up.  Thanks, Swami!

And thanks to the other for the tips. ;)

Swami805

Glad it worked out, might file the plate edge a bit so it will go back on and not stick again. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RowdyW

It's a chrome ring to chrome ring. Filing will just remove chrome causing it to corrode more easily. Cleaning it up & greasing it would be a better solution.

Decker

Quote from: RowdyW on September 26, 2017, 06:22:56 AM
It's a chrome ring to chrome ring. Filing will just remove chrome causing it to corrode more easily. Cleaning it up & greasing it would be a better solution.
Right, Rudy. There was a little bit of corrosion on the square edge of the chrome ring, that seems to have been holding it.  There is little corrosion on the reel. I'll post a pic later.

Thank you, all, for the help.

mo65

OK...freezer trick added to my list of reel repair techniques. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~