Removing old faded decals from Abus

Started by festus, September 09, 2017, 07:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

l recently picked up this champagne colored Abu 4600C.  lt works very well, doesn't look too bad except for the faded decals around the circumference of the end plates.

ls there an way to remove the decals without ruining the finish of the reel? l also picked up an Abu 4600 AL, red in color, the same day that was produced without decals.

Midway Tommy

A little heat from a hairdryer might loosen them up enough to peel them off. Then, if it does, clean off the glue residue mineral spirits.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

tholmes

A little naphtha will dissolve the adhesive without harming the finish.

Tom

festus

Quote from: tholmes on September 25, 2017, 07:21:06 PM
A little naphtha will dissolve the adhesive without harming the finish.

Tom
Thanks Tom, l tried Ronson lighter fluid and got the remnants of the decals and adhesive off the Abu 4600C on the right.  l think a reel stripped of it's faded out decals looks much better.  The Abu 4600 Royal Express on the left has never been cast this year, probably will use it next spring.

thorhammer

Hey Festus, nice work. I've had  to remove several due to boat rash, not fading, which then highlighted rash on the plates. Mine were 5500C's, the silver ones, and I went back with some automotive pin striping. looks pretty good.

John