Coming to terms with my addiction

Started by jackpine, September 22, 2017, 02:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: oc1 on October 27, 2017, 08:27:43 AM
You didn't miss anything but a bunch of wind Gregg.  I'm going cold turkey and will absolutely never ever buy another reel..... and this time I mean it.
-steve

Never say never  ;) :D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Y........... will absolutely never ever buy another reel..... and this time I mean it.

I say that to my wife everytime, luckily for me the last 5 new reels and last 3 new rods have been "traded" not bought, so, Im safe....

the red eyes on my wife said the contrary but.. ooh well, on my mind I kept my promess

The Baja Guy

David Hall

I wasnt going to buy anything!  a friend called and said, you gotta get over here!  somebody just bought an estate sale from a family, theres thousands maybe millions of dollars worth of gear here for pennies on the dollar.  I went! nearly had a coronary when I saw everything.  I was alone with hundreds of rods, hundreds of reels, hundreds of boxes filled with gear, much of it still in its original packaging. at least a dozen long range boxes filled to capacity.  my head started spinning, I was speechless, trying to regain control of my senses, the seller was putting tape on a large box, I said what you got there?  oh just a box of Newells going to some guy up in Oregon.  I didnt even get to see them? I picked out a dozen small salmon flashers, still in original packaging, a few dozen barbless hooks, a bunch of rock fishing gear, bags full of plastic grub bodies, lead heads, 2lb balls an okuma LC reel never used.  a 3000 yd spool of 40# Ande, a 3000 yd spool of 80# JB, about 6 more spools of line and a bunch of more stuff I cant remember, my head was still swimming.  There were boxes everywhere and I didnt know where to start.  I wanted to move in with the guy, I need days to look through this stuff.  I said heres my pile, how much?  yadda yadda hm hm, how about 140 bucks?  DONE! I gotta get outta here, I can always come back.  Truth is Im afraid to go back, I never even got to the rods. 

ez2cdave

Quote from: David Hall on October 27, 2017, 04:36:07 PM
I wasnt going to buy anything!  a friend called and said, you gotta get over here!  somebody just bought an estate sale from a family, theres thousands maybe millions of dollars worth of gear here for pennies on the dollar.  I went! nearly had a coronary when I saw everything.  I was alone with hundreds of rods, hundreds of reels, hundreds of boxes filled with gear, much of it still in its original packaging. at least a dozen long range boxes filled to capacity.  my head started spinning, I was speechless, trying to regain control of my senses, the seller was putting tape on a large box, I said what you got there?  oh just a box of Newells going to some guy up in Oregon.  I didnt even get to see them? I picked out a dozen small salmon flashers, still in original packaging, a few dozen barbless hooks, a bunch of rock fishing gear, bags full of plastic grub bodies, lead heads, 2lb balls an okuma LC reel never used.  a 3000 yd spool of 40# Ande, a 3000 yd spool of 80# JB, about 6 more spools of line and a bunch of more stuff I cant remember, my head was still swimming.  There were boxes everywhere and I didnt know where to start.  I wanted to move in with the guy, I need days to look through this stuff.  I said heres my pile, how much?  yadda yadda hm hm, how about 140 bucks?  DONE! I gotta get outta here, I can always come back.  Truth is Im afraid to go back, I never even got to the rods. 

And you didn't share that information with the "Ohana" ?

MarkT

It's not an addiction, it's hobby.  See, doesn't that make it sound better?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

[/quote]

I didn't want to be targeted by everyone's wife and girlfriend!

ez2cdave

Quote from: David Hall on October 27, 2017, 08:18:03 PM

I didn't want to be targeted by everyone's wife and girlfriend!
[/quote]

Sure, sure, I believe you, really I do . . . LOL !

Tight Lines !

Gfish

You didn't miss anything but a bunch of wind Gregg.  I'm going cold turkey and will absolutely never ever buy another reel..... and this time I mean it.
-steve

Alrighty then Steve, but when(not if)it happens, and you just gotta know that it will, you gotta come clean to us. Ok?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

This is what I had to go through.

MarkT

That looks challenging. I'd start with that box of hooks right up front.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Benni3

maybe chilelleno could back a trailer in there for you,,,,, i know there some nice stuff in there  :D

Shark Hunter

I would be in those boxes like white on rice.
Then I'd come back with a wad of cash.
Deals like that don't come my way.
Life is Good!

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 28, 2017, 02:51:56 AM
I would be in those boxes like white on rice.
Then I'd come back with a wad of cash.
Deals like that don't come my way.

Got that right  . . .

My approach would be to already have the "wad of cash" on me, bring my two teenage Grandsons, plus a couple of their friends, with me ( pre-instructed what to look for and what to ignore ), and go through those boxes like a Tornado ! That would give me a "team" of 5 or 6 people, working as a coordinated unit.

The priorities / strategy ( for me ) would be, in this order. . . SPEED is critical if there is "competition" present  !

( 1) BOXES - Immediately determine the contents and set them aside, based on the rest of the "plan" below.

( 2 ) Reels - Especially, new / unused. ( Call me over and keep on looking )

( 3 ) Rods - Especially new, unused.

( 4 ) Terminal Tackle - Hooks, Swivels, new only ( Grab that box full of Owner hooks up front, immediately )

( 5 ) Line - Bulk spools or case lots.

That's a "guerrilla" approach, as my goal is to snap up the high-dollar items, keep what I want and put the rest up for sale, later.

ROCK & ROLL . . . Tight Lines !

oc1

Oh.... one arrived in the mail today, but that was from before.  You know.  I'll probably lose that auction too.  So far, so good.
-steve

wfjord