Long Beach question

Started by Stevedel, September 11, 2017, 01:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevedel

Exactly, oc1

The problem with old Penn reels, is that it is hard to find a really clean one. When you do, it comes at a premium. Especially the more popular ones. Still, it's a lot cheaper than a number of hobbies I can think of.

I just can't get into the new Shimano/Daiwa designs. I guess that I'm just an old-school, do it myself, kind of guy. Besides, who can afford them.

And, Ron, a person can find a cheap reel, tear it apart and play with bits and pieces. If you find something that works, buy a nicer one.

This is the perfect hobby for me. It doesn't take up much space.

You are right, Gfish. You do have to be careful. Being able to look at images, close-up, can be a big help.

RowdyW

The 68 Longbeach is available with an aluminum spool 27-268 & has been for quite a few years. I don't know what a 113LW spool is. ??? ??? A 113"H"LW spool will not fit.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Gfish on October 06, 2017, 09:11:51 PM
Carefull. Boughta LB 60 offa E-Bay for parts. Turned out to bea 65 with a 60 labeled head-plate. So the posts, stand & spool were not usable. Became a "brother-in-law" LB65 with a few old 60 parts in it. Either it was a head plate repair for an original 65, or a 60 was modified to be wider. Didn't fault the seller, 'cause I'm sure he thought it was a 60 based on the head plate number.

Anyway here's a vintage
aftermarket stand that was on the 60 and from what I gather, kinda rare with the clamp(no part numbers). You like?
Gfish

Yep, depends on how you define "kinda rare".

In the collector world the word "rare" is seldom used by most.

I'd describe it as fairly uncommon, or non typical. The clamp seat added 30%to the cost of the reel. By that time you could add another $1.50 and buy a nice senator. That likely explains why the lb60 clamp seat was only offered as an option for 5 catalog years in the 40's. A very short lived option for a reel that never needed a rod clamp in the first place. ;D ;D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Stevedel

The thing is, RowdyW, if I buy the wrong spool, I get to find a reel to go with it.

A blessing, or a curse?

RowdyW

I'm still trying to figure out what a 113LW spool is & what it will fit.

Ron Jones

Penn makes, or made, a wide black sided 113 Senator. L depicts an aluminum spool. Same width and frame as the 113HLW, only with slow, small Senator guts.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Stevedel

The spool on my 113HLW is anodized red.That is one reel I'd like to keep "spotless".

Did Penn use anodized red for their 50th anniversary? That is about the time I bought my 113HLW.

You made me go out to the garage and get it out, just to look at it. It's gorgeous. Thank you.

That reel and the Long Beach, are a tribute to Penn's classic design. Sorry, but I just can't warm up to the "new" stuff.

Ron Jones

Quote from: RowdyW on October 06, 2017, 11:06:51 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what a 113LW spool is & what it will fit.

Or, you could say it is a 113W with a 268 spool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

Quote from: Ron "Jones on October 06, 2017, 11:34:44 PM
Penn makes, or made, a wide black sided 113 Senator. L depicts an aluminum spool. Same width and frame as the 113HLW, only with slow, small Senator guts.
Ron
Ron, Penn never made a 113 wide with black plates. Any that are around were made outside of the Penn factory by individuals. The ones in existance with aluminum spools are homemade frankinreels using Longbeach 268 spools.           Rudy

Stevedel

The Penn Long Beach 60, in top condition, is a lovely piece of early Penn art. Not as "blingy" as the Senators or Squidders, but beautiful in their own, dignified, way. I'm hoping my E-bayed 66 will be the same.

Sadly, it's gear-set seems to be the limiting factor. The world has moved past the 2.5 to 1 ratio. However, a lot of fish have been caught on exactly that. Unless someone can find an upgrade to it's internals, the Long Beach will be limited to loaner or "party boat" use.

I will not give up. For the time being, I will move to other projects while looking to improve the Long Beach internals. There's gotta be something that can be done.

RowdyW

About the only way to improve the gear ratio & internals on the LB 66 is to remove the screws from both side plates and insert them into a set of 113H plates.  ;D ;D            Rudy

Stevedel

Thanks, Rudy, sounds like you've been there before.

mo65

Quote from: Stevedel on October 07, 2017, 08:56:38 PM
Sadly, it's gear-set seems to be the limiting factor. The world has moved past the 2.5 to 1 ratio. However, a lot of fish have been caught on exactly that. Unless someone can find an upgrade to it's internals, the Long Beach will be limited to loaner or "party boat" use.

Sometimes gear ratios can be deceiving. The diameter of the spool is often overlooked...and is half the equation. A reel like the Long Beach has a fairly large spool and can make the otherwise slow sounding 2.5:1 ratio more of a "mid-speed" retrieve. Let's look at this in terms of line retrieved per handle turn.
   Many modern reels with smaller spools had no choice but to increase gear size...just to keep up. As an example, the Mag 10 has a 4:1 gear ratio, and brings in 17 inches of line per handle turn. The ol' LB's 2.5:1 gear ratio brings in 14 inches per turn, not so bad when viewed this way.
   As far as upgrades, the LB is more limited than some Penns, but there are a few mods that will make it fish very well. An aluminum spool, stainless steel gear sleeve, 5-stack drag kit, stainless steel dog, and various handle choices are all easily obtained for these reels. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: RowdyW on October 08, 2017, 01:24:51 AM
About the only way to improve the gear ratio & internals on the LB 66 is to remove the screws from both side plates and insert them into a set of 113H plates.  ;D ;D            Rudy

Rudy is right, IMO --

The Longbeach line is a solid reel that was sold in the millions over the years -- many different models.

The limiting factor on these has always been the gears and the size of the drags within the main gear.

That, and the fact that other Penns are tougher with double rings, larger gears, higher ratios, upgradable drag stacks, stronger stands, posts, etc..

A LB will do whatever it is designed to do well -- as will a Senator, Squidder, Surfmaster, 99.

Each has its place and purpose -- just like tools in your toolbox.

While we do learn about how to switch parts and pieces from different Penn models, into something unique -- sometimes that is kind of neat to do -- and other times, a different reel is called for.

Plenty of ways to switch parts around -- and some yet to be discovered...

Here are a few that are ready for homes -- and another 3 large bins that have not been restored and serviced as of yet.  That will be a Winter project with plenty of coffee, a warm heater, tunes & enjoyment.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Stevedel

Thanks for the perspective, gang.

My "60" is quite lovely and I am waiting on a "66". (This week, sometime) As my Penn collection expands, I should expect to add a "67" and "68". I'll just have to wait until I collect more internal parts to play with.

We'll just call it "pay to play". Perfectly legal in this context.