Sealine 27H Rebuild

Started by braz13, September 30, 2017, 10:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

braz13

Picked up another Daiwa Sealine 27H, paid £12.50 (approx  $17), I'm so impressed with these little reels, full alloy frame, side plates and spool.

Not too bad condition under the dirt and fish scales, felt quite dry inside, not an issue as it would be getting a full overhaul.

After a full tear down and good clean all was good.
No internal corrosion, just some very dry grease.
Original drag washers a little worn, replacing them with new carbon.
Removed shields from bearings and repacked with fresh grease.

New carbon drag washers cut, 18mm od, 8mm id, cut from 0.5mm sheet. Think you could go up to 0.7mm thick without having any problems.

Left side plate rebuilt along with level wind mechanism.

Eccentric mechanism ready for bridge plate.

Bridge plate fitted.

Right side plate fitted including star drag.

Fully rebuilt, nice and smooth with loads of drag, I will add line later on and get some drag figures.
I'm looking at machining an undercut in a long TLD handle, think this ones off a 15, not sure how strong the brass gear sleeve will be with a longer handle but I'll give it a go.

Porthos

Hey Braz,

Do you happen to own or get access to a Penn reel that's listed on the page below:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/24-66.aspx

If yes, can you do a comparison of the 27H handle hole to the Penn Type A handle hole.

I've had success, with minor filing, getting a Penn Type A power handle fitted on the Daiwa 30H and SMF170H. If the flat sides of the holes match up then it's a matter of reshaping the round ends to fit on to the 27H. This may open up more handle options for you (and the rest of us Daiwa Sealine fans).

Wai

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

braz13

Hi Wai
I don't have access to to any Penn reels or handles on the list at the moment, the majority of my reels are TLD's. Sorry

I have loads of spare Shimano handles, the TLD handles that fit perfectly onto the 27H gear sleeve, it's just the thickness that's the issue.

I was considering creating a round under cut at the hole to reduce the thickness to allow the retaining washer and spring to fit.

However, having fitted 0.5mm thick drag washers I now have space between the handle and star drag, so I'm thinking of cutting the flats on the gear sleeve down a couple of threads, this will allow me to fit the wider TLD handle. My thoughts are fitting the wider handle will support the soft brass gear sleeve a bit better.

Thanks for the info Wai.

Cheers
Brian

Porthos

Hi Braz,

Quote from: braz13 on October 01, 2017, 12:18:35 PM
...the TLD handles that fit perfectly onto the 27H gear sleeve...

This is THE key piece of Info since I have no TLD reels...I can continue my analyses with a TLD handle on this side of the pond.

Thanx!

If you fish it at 5-6 lbs drag from top of spool, the longer handle length shouldn't an issue since that is a little less that 1/3 of the factory 20lb test rating--cranking would be slower but less tedious than the shorter factory arm. With a 3.75" (95mm) handle arm originally intended for a Penn 500/111/112/113), I've pushed the 30H/170H gear sleeve to 12lbs drag for a 40lb setup for three years running with no issues. Based on that experience, if I had a 27H, using 8lbs max drag from top of spool with 25lb test is a risk I'd be willing to take. YMMV.

Good luck.

Wai

akfish

I believe Penn 006 155 (from a 209 and other reels) drag washers are a direct fit.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

braz13

Quote from: Porthos on October 02, 2017, 12:46:03 AM
Hi Braz,

Quote from: braz13 on October 01, 2017, 12:18:35 PM
...the TLD handles that fit perfectly onto the 27H gear sleeve...

This is THE key piece of Info since I have no TLD reels...I can continue my analyses with a TLD handle on this side of the pond.

Thanx!

If you fish it at 5-6 lbs drag from top of spool, the longer handle length shouldn't an issue since that is a little less that 1/3 of the factory 20lb test rating--cranking would be slower but less tedious than the shorter factory arm. With a 3.75" (95mm) handle arm originally intended for a Penn 500/111/112/113), I've pushed the 30H/170H gear sleeve to 12lbs drag for a 40lb setup for three years running with no issues. Based on that experience, if I had a 27H, using 8lbs max drag from top of spool with 25lb test is a risk I'd be willing to take. YMMV.

Good luck.

Wai

Good call on the drag settings Wai, the reel will be loaded with 30lb braid so 8lb of drag will be ideal and not stress the gear sleeve.
The handle upgrade is more for comfort rather than cranking power, so again shouldn't stress the gear sleeve.

Thanks again
Brain

braz13

Quote from: akfish on October 02, 2017, 01:00:19 AM
I believe Penn 006 155 (from a 209 and other reels) drag washers are a direct fit.

Thanks for the info akfish.
cheers