349H left handed???

Started by RowdyW, April 02, 2013, 01:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

I can't find any listing for one but one of the 349 reels I have only works correctly if I mount it with the handle on the left side of the rod. It is a 349HC, 2 levers, black plates. I never heard of one. Has anybody ever seen one? If I mount it righty it retrieves when the handle is turned backwards & when I turn try to turn it forwards the anti reverse locks it. What is it??      Rudy

Keta

Take it apart and post photos.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Lee, I don't have any way to post photos & if I had the equipment I wouldn't know how to use it. I don't think it could be assembled wrong or it wouldn't work. I'll have to take it apart tomorrow & see whats up. I bought this off of ebay about 8-10 months ago as a parts reel & its been in the parts pile since. I just dug it back out today to look for parts for another reel when I found out that it was not working the way it should as a righty reel but works correctly as a lefty reel. The knuckle buster lever works & the drag lever works correctly & the drag works but the star has a right hand thread. It is a 349 not a 49.         Rudy

Keta

Cool, it might be a rare 349!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Hi Lee, I just got it apart & the teeth on the sleeve face the opposite direction of my other 349 sleeves. The dog & dog spring is different also.The dog is almost straight & has a hole in the side of it for the dog spring & there is a post that the other end of spring butts against. The spring is a coil spring with a small loop on the end at the post end that hooks over the post. The dog indexes near the opposite side of the sleeve. The bridge has the 2 posts for the dog & spring in different locations then normal. I hope that gives you an idea about what it looks like without a photo. Just found a part # on the dog 15-349LH. I guess it is a lefty reel. The only thing I see different is the bridge, sleeve, dog, & dog spring. I could convert it but I would rather sell it or trade it for something else. Anybody need a lefty 349HC?        Rudy

alantani

i just sent an email to a friend of mine that fishes left handed.  his name is jeff.  hopefully he will get in touch with you. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikeysm

Here is a picture of a left handed 349 bridge and gears. It has a standard dog with a right handed star. The side cover will have to be modified for it to fit but that's no problem.

Mike