Speedy Penn 210 with 505 gears?

Started by Decker, October 20, 2017, 04:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Thanks, Lee. What you said about the 10 and 210 in other posts encouraged me to start using them.  We don't have salmon here, but I think they are not a vicious as "gator" bluefish, and probably closer to to medium/large-sized stripers in potential.  I was thinking of the hi-speed 210 as a benefit for bottom fishing in 100+ feet of water for fish no more than 15-20lbs.  We don't have monster halibut either, just black sea bass, ling, tautog, winter flounder, etc.  The benefit of the speedy gears is getting the rigs up faster for checking baits.  With all this advice, I have plenty of incentive to get back to work  ;)  /Joe

Keta

I knew people in Alaska that used 309's for pacific halibut.  The fish you are targeting are salmon speed or slower.  Try to keep the LW timed or the side load will cause issues.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

You'll be fine for that application. I've used  Mag 10 live baiting stripers to 20 lbs and 210 for downrigger trolling for 20 years. bottom fish don't typically run as you know so levelwind shouldn't be of issue as long as you keep from getting rocked.

mhc

Quote from: Decker on October 23, 2017, 06:16:40 PM
Interesting suggestion about sanding down the main gear... Seems like a lot of metal to sand away.  Hand sanding is preferable to a belt sander?

A belt sander would be much faster - I only suggested hand sanding because it sounded like you had limited tools. Brass is softer than steel but it would still take a while to sand it by hand, you could also carefully remove the bulk of the material with a coarse flat file and finish it with finer sanding. Lee's suggestion of a lathe would be the most accurate.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Decker

Thanks, Mike.  Sounds like an incremental approach is probably best, keeping the gear flat the whole time. 

With all this expert advice I'm getting, I'd better get back to work soon! ;D

Keta

The way these gears are made makes cutting them down easy, remove metal until you get to the flat.  A hacksaw could be used, carefuly, to take most of, a bit of filing  then a sandpaper on a hard flat surface to clean up.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Decker

Quote from: alantani on October 20, 2017, 05:18:59 PM
check the inside diameter of the pinion gear.  you may have to drill it out. 

Checked last night, and the 505 pinion fits the 210 spool shaft as it is. The consensus on the main gear seems to be that filing/sanding the lip down is the best way to go... Next step