A Little Everol History

Started by Midway Tommy, October 20, 2017, 01:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 23, 2018, 04:50:05 PM
Nice work on the weld repairs. If you can get the handle knob off the blade Powder Coating is the best. Otherwise Epoxy Paint would be good too. Great Save!
Knob ain't coming off !!  I noticed some runs on the back side of handle so I think it was good paint originally . I looked around and all I could find was a brown / bronze paint that is close but not perfect it's a little dark. I put a primer coat on yesterday morning then one coat of paint last night and hung it over wood stove. I roughed it up a little this morning with 1200 grit sand paper and put on a second coat. She is drying over stove now so we will see ??? If not good enough it's gonna be black !! Will post pics when done.   John Taylor

54bullseye

Okay I am done with the Everol handle ! Color and texture of the paint wasn't a perfect choice but will have to do. I would not hesitate to fish this reel as everything works perfect and drag is surprisingly smooth and strong I think it would handle a pretty big fish !!! Here are some pictures of the fix and paint job. Now I guess I gotta find out what type rods the fished these on over in Italy back in the day ???    John Taylor

54bullseye

Pics

54bullseye

couple more pics of push button rig to change gears with.

54bullseye

last pics

Swami805

Nice repair, The black looks good on that reel. I was looking at the clamp, Do the upper screws loosen so you can rotate the reel? Never seen a clamp arrangment like that before.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

54bullseye

Quote from: Swami805 on January 27, 2018, 03:58:41 PM
Nice repair, The black looks good on that reel. I was looking at the clamp, Do the upper screws loosen so you can rotate the reel? Never seen a clamp arrangment like that before.
It is actually a bronze / brown not black. I tried to match the old handle color the best WalMart could do !! Lol !   Not sure what upper screws your talking about ? And I have never seen a rod clamp like that either. Seems kinda complicated ??    John Taylor  

Swami805

I looks like a screw right above the reel foot that's threaded on both sides that goes thru the base of the reel. Just curious, seems like a lot of parts and thought went into making it like that, looks like it was made to pivet or something.

54bullseye

Well you got my curiosity up on the reel seat so here it is. Pics attached.  I think all the two allan set screws do is allow an easy way to take reel off rod without having to take off rod clamp ?  Not that taking rod clamp off is very hard but this is probably quicker. Take a look at pictures maybe some one has a better guess !! There is a little tail on one end of clamp that fits into back of base then you just tighten the set screws. It can't swivel so that's the best I can come up with?    John Taylor

54bullseye

Last couple pics

gstours

That weld repair job looks great.   Good metal and cleaned!   Worth another dozen beers to the Torch Guy! ;)
Also the reel seat is quite interesting as the quick change method.  They use this method  on some cameras in the tripod, butt never seen anything like that before.  Thanks for the great pictures.

Swami805

Thanks for doing that, it does make sense if you're clamping the reel to the rod that does'nt have a reel seat. Pretty clever way to do it.

Tightlines667

That turned out pretty darn good.  That clamp is certainly an interesting design.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

54bullseye

Well digging around on internet today and I came up with a couple cool Everol catalogs the first a 1958 with 7.5-0 reel similar to the one I posted on this thread. There are a few little differences that I noticed # 1 the top cross bar is Gold like the one on Robert Janssen's reel early in this thread. He said he thought his might be a bit earlier than mine as my top cross bar is Black so could be one reason. # 2 the little silver free spool lever is smaller on the one in catalog than mine and # 3 the star that is used to hold handle in desired position is a different shape not as sharp points as mine ! I will assume mine to be a bit newer than 1958. It also shows the odd real seat we talked about earlier in this thread and it looks like my guess on it's use was correct !!

The next catalog a 1960 version shows a 6/0 Everol selling under the SEARS ROEBUCK AND CO. name that has " Ted Williams" name on handle and drag scale. I thought that was pretty cool !!!

I Hope your able to blow up pictures as I am having trouble loading them ! I hope they come through for you.
Thanks for looking !!   John Taylor