Boca Bearings? What's your take?

Started by Jim Dempsey, October 23, 2017, 02:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I was asking if there were any markings on the side of the outer race.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jim Dempsey

I'll double check, but I don't think so. I say that because, oddly enough; when I was removing a bearing from an older reel; it had a part number that traced back to a Boca ABEC5 stainless steel bearing (3x10x4). Only one of around 60 that I've handled, so far. I'll do another double check when I get back in town. I'll also look under varying lighting conditions because I barely noticed it.

Gfish

Great subject. Can't wait to see the results a the tests.

Anyone got info. on the quality of bearing construction materials? I'm willing to pay more for durability, especially if there are products that have better corrosion risistance. There's always gonna be water particals gettin into any bearing, shielded, or not.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Jim Dempsey

The Revo line use the same size bearings, with few exceptions. Sanity tells me that you're really only going to see performance increases on the high speed bearings - IE: the spool bearings. However; they all also use a 3x10x4 "tensioner" bearing that the spool shaft rides in. Although tis not a direct support of the rotation of the spool shaft; it does ride inside of it. I'd think that replacing it would make little difference; but in theory; it could have a marginal effect.

Obviously; unless you have money to burn; replacing the levelwind bearings, shaft bearing, and knob bearings are a complete waste of time - performance considered. Feel free to disagree and comment. Too bad that the big boy reels don't have levelwind bearings! The worm gear actually spins on cast and can degrade casting distance considerably. At least; based on my observations, so far.

My query is: How many of you replace the tensioner bearing along with the actual spool bearings? Again; open opinions, suggestions - not trying to split hairs. Has anyone tried it both ways and appreciated any improvement / difference?

Thanks.

fishhawk

Quote from: Jim Dempsey on October 26, 2017, 04:43:45 PM
The Revo line use the same size bearings, with few exceptions. Sanity tells me that you're really only going to see performance increases on the high speed bearings - IE: the spool bearings. However; they all also use a 3x10x4 "tensioner" bearing that the spool shaft rides in. Although tis not a direct support of the rotation of the spool shaft; it does ride inside of it. I'd think that replacing it would make little difference; but in theory; it could have a marginal effect.

Obviously; unless you have money to burn; replacing the levelwind bearings, shaft bearing, and knob bearings are a complete waste of time - performance considered. Feel free to disagree and comment. Too bad that the big boy reels don't have levelwind bearings! The worm gear actually spins on cast and can degrade casting distance considerably. At least; based on my observations, so far.

My query is: How many of you replace the tensioner bearing along with the actual spool bearings? Again; open opinions, suggestions - not trying to split hairs. Has anyone tried it both ways and appreciated any improvement / difference?

Thanks.
Hi Jim, what are you refering to as in "tension bearing"?

Jim Dempsey

The bearing on the side of the reel that adjusts the tension (brake) of the spool rotation.

MarkT

What reel(s) will you be testing with?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Jim Dempsey

fishhawk

Quote from: Jim Dempsey on October 26, 2017, 05:19:41 PM
The bearing on the side of the reel that adjusts the tension (brake) of the spool rotation.
So we're talking about the bearing at the end of the shaft vs the bearing in the spool?

Jim Dempsey

Yes. It's a 3x10x4 like the left spool bearing.

Tiddlerbasher

If the level wind is permanently engaged I'm not sure you will see any difference :-\

Gfish

Quote from: Jim Dempsey on October 26, 2017, 05:19:41 PM

Isat a copper lookin bushing that fits in the housing where the cast control cap screws on?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Jim Dempsey

oc1

In a Revo it is a carbon fiber friction plate instead of copper.  There has to be something there to keep it properly shimmed and to prevent drilling a hole in the spool tension knob.
-steve

Jim Dempsey

Steve,

Correct; but there's a 3rd bearing inside there. The spool has a bearing on each side. On a right hand retrieve; there's a 3x10x4 bearing in the left shaft housing where the magnetic brakes are, a 5x11x4 bearing held in place by a pin on the right spool shaft, and a 3rd bearing (3x10x4) inside the right housing where the thin end of the right spool enters the housing and makes contact with the adjustable spool brake. It's accessible under the brake tension cap.

Boca offers kits with just the 2 spool bearings, and another with 3 bearings that include the tensioner bearing. I'm just curious about how many consider that one a potential performance gain since part of the spool shaft spins inside it. I'm almost of the opinion, at this point; that it's not a big performance gain to swap it out. I guess that will just be a 3rd test to perform during the testing.