Jigging Master PE5N - Updated to incl bearing sizes

Started by Clem, June 18, 2011, 08:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clem

Ok, thought I'd give it a go...will hopefully be of help to someone,

I have 2 JM reels, a PE3 and a PE5N..The PE3 is on a custom built 150 (CTS) and a the PE5 sits on a 350 (CTS) both built by Kieron at Reel Rods back in NZ - this is the PE5N

Remove the 4 main body screws to separate the drive from the housing

Separate the body, I work on the housing first

Inside the housing you will see the plastic tension ring for the clicker held in by 2 countersunk screws and the bearing

Take out the 2 screws and the tension ring will pop out

Remove the bearing (6mm x 15mm x 5mm). I clean this one and re-grease it, usually clean them in white spirit and then soak them in Inox before adding grease...seems to work fine particularly if you service your reels frequently. Once everything is out of the housing I run the brush around with a bit of grease

I remove the gear plate cover, I should say now that like many others I add grease or Inox to all the screws prior to putting them back in. Also, you will see in the picture that the plate is countersunk on on side only..so easy to see if its upside down

Next I will remove the reel foot

Once that is off I grease the surface between the body and seat, including the screws

We will start putting the housing back together, you can see in the photo below that the seat is designed to sit on the body one way only..keeps it simple

Put the gear plate cover back on, screws should be flush with the plate

This is the bottom side of the tension ring, the other side is countersunk for the screws

Topside

Pop that back in, a bit fiddly lining up the clicker and replace the screws

I'll put the housing to the side for now and work on the drive side, I use a coin to remove the drag adjustment cap

Once the cap is off I wind the tension up and push the drag lever to the strike position and remove the shaft screw

Then remove the spool from the drive gear

I'll remove the drag lever and tension set

Split the washer, drag lever and tension set

I'll unscrew the tension set and clean

Flick it over and remove the locking wire

Remove the bearing (6mm x 17mm x 6mm), I clean this one up too

I run the brush around the inside with a light coat of grease

I place the re greased bearing back in, grease the drag lever and put that assembly to the side

Start to breakdown the gear and handle assembly, remove the handle shaft cap

Remove the locking ring

Unscrew the shaft nut

Remove the handle and the 2 washers, plastic washer should be on the shaft housing

Flip the housing over and remove the main gear plate, can be tight if its not been off before..they need to grease the threads

Once off, slide the shaft out and remove the main gear including the white plastic washer

Remove the bearing (10mm x 15mm x 4mm) from the housing

Now I remove the 3 screws holding the shaft housing (containing the one way bearing)...need to grease these screw threads!!

Turn the main assembly over and remove the shaft bearing (10mm x 15mm x 4mm)

Remove the support ring from the housing (2 screws)

Whilst I am there I remove the spool/drag shaft plate to remove the bearing (6mm x 17mm x 6mm)

Pop the bearing out, clean and re grease and start to remove the gear shaft

Once the gear shaft is out I check the one way bearing

I remove the drag stop and then clean and grease both sides of the plate

Drop of oil to the pawls

Finally can start putting it back together, drag stop back on and re insert the shaft housing

Shaft support ring back on

Spool/drag shaft plate back on

Turn over and replace the re greased bearing

Gear and gear plate back together..don't forget to grease threads

Gear, washer and bearing back in..watch the edges of the shaft and the one way bearing..

Gear back in..

Turnover and replace the 2 shaft washers, plastic on first

Handle back on, shaft screw back in and then the locking ring

Put that assembly to the side and start on the spool, remove the drive side drag plate

Turnover and remove the plastic retainer (4 screws) and remove the drag plate and shaft

Remove the spring if it hasn't come off already, will be one either side

Remove the bearings (6mm x 15mm x 5mm) from either side, I clean these and oil

Remove the locking wire and remove the drag washer

Once the washers are removed I clean and lightly grease the spool

I clean up the drag plate and check for any problems

Re grease the drag washers and replace, don't forget the locking wire

Replace the spool bearings/drag plate and shaft, don't forget the spring for either side

Screw the plastic retainer plate back on

Make sure that the bearing spacer/sleeve goes back in before you put the spool bearing and top drag plate back on

Place the spool assembly back into the drive assembly

Make sure the white plastic washer is back on

Drag lever back on, to the free spool position

Drag tension adjuster back in

Spool shaft screw back in

Put the cap back on

Take the housing with the re greased bearing and slide back on to the spool/drive assembly

Finally housing and drive assembly back together

Screws back in

And done..

So, you can see I didn't take out the handle bearing (6mm x 10mm x 3mm) but I did add a bit of Inox to it,

I think the reels are great, had a few Yellow Tail Kingfish on it the last time I was home.. The key to a well performing reel is simply regular maintenance, I had a Silstar baitrunner (used to be the cheap version of the Shimano baitrunners at the time) for 10 years before the CAST main gear cracked,

Anyway, hope it all made sense - apologise for the description of some of the parts, I just call em what I think they are...if you have any questions just let me know..

Bryan Young

Very nice Clem.  Those are good looking reel.  You really ought to try open those spool bearing up, clean them completely out, then lube with a lite viscosity lubricant.  Your free spool times will amaze you, allowing your jigs to drop faster into the abis.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

great job thank's a million.

mackereljoe

That's a very nice reel. Well done and thank you for sharing.

basto

Great job Clem. I have this reel and a PE8, so this will be a very handy reference for me. Beautiful reels! Thank you.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

wallacewt

hi clem.  nice photos,you made it look very easy.good job.
freespool and drag pressure?
likes and dislikes?

Alto Mare

I like the way you use those tweezers, are you a Doctor by any chance? ;D
Very nice job, thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Clem

Bryan, I'll try that..I will get some spare bearings first..

The free spool prior was around 40 sec, after it was approx 2 mins, which is not bad as Inox is quite heavy compared to the high speed oils..Haven't measured the drag as I don't have my scale with me but will update if I can..

Powerful for their respective size, solid build
Dual drag is awesome the PE5N is spooled with PE5 (78lb), I use Varivas 140lb leader, the heaviest fish I have had on it was a 20kg Kingi...was a decent fight and everything worked perfectly..

Dislikes:
None really, the availability was a bit slow initially but thats improved now..most of the charter boats at home or the boats targeting kingfish use them

wallacewt

i looked up the stats and 35/60lb drag.very impressive.

Roger

Very good job Clem, those JM's are real popular with the jigging crowd......
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

very nicely done.  i have found that a hard piece of plastic works sometimes in place of a coin and will not leave tool marks.  we also need to get you a bearing packer for the non-spool bearings.  if you have notes or a second chance to open up another reel, can you let us know what the dimensions of the bearings are.  that is a very common question.  thanks you very much.  could you also send me a pm with your address?  i'd like to mail something to you.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hafnor

Those JM reels are just beautiful. I see already improvements made on this reel from the 09/10 models. the reel foot is mounted directly to the house and the drag shield had another colour... HMM wonder why

Clem

Just a quick update - I just assumed the bearings would be from Asia? obviously not....From INA, this is actually the PE3

Black Widow Tackle

Can the dual drag reel be used with out the dual drag and only the standard single drag?

hafnor

Yes, very easily! just remove the washer and the metal washer. since the infrigment with accurate's patent on twin drag all American dealers will sell the JM reels as a single drag config.