Levelwind

Started by Scattergun2570, November 08, 2017, 10:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I have read here more than once that people are using Corrosion X for the levelwind..I had always thought level-winds get grease not oil... is this wrong?

FatTuna

You want oil on the levelwind. The grease on the levelwind will slow down the reel and it also attracts junk. It can also get on your hands when fishing if you touch it. I experimented with grease but now I use ReelX.

akfish

I use grease on some level winds. Specifically, I use it on the reels of customers who have convinced me that they won't take care of their reels. My theory is that grease -- a fairly light grease like Penn XR-1 -- protects against corrosion better than a lighter weight lube.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

thorhammer

I'm only doing my own reels, or friend's stuff I will be the continued servicer of, so I use Corrosion X on levelwinds, bushings, and bearings. TS321 may give better freespool but not so as I'd notice.

handi2

Oil on 90% of levelwind reels. On some of the larger offshore reels I'll use a light grease. On electric deep drop reels they get grease. I've seen too many with corrosion. I oil them well first then run them for a couple of minutes. Then they get grease.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Hardy Boy

Most of the level wind reels I service are penn 330 size or larger and get fished in saltwater for bottom fish, they are boat rods and many get sprayed by salt water while guys are running and/or they spray the crap out of them with the hose when they return. I have just oiled some in the past but they come back in tough shape. I now use grease, run the level wind back and forth a few times and then a drop of corrosion X. This seems to work and few have issues for the season. I tell guys to oil or grease in season but it never seems to stick and I suggest that a light rinse is best .................. but that does not seem to stick either ...................... good for business I guess.
Todd

Tiddlerbasher

For me - baitcaster level winds get TSI 321 - It works longer than CorrossionX/ReelX IMHO.
If it's a disengaging level wind it may get grease (on request) - personally I think it just attracts crud :-\