Daiwa CV-X millionaire thumb bar troubles.

Started by Ripley, July 18, 2017, 09:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ripley

Hi all,
              I have a problem that seems common.

A well used millionaire in which the reel doesn't return completely into gear after depressing the bar and casting.

Another poster suggested glue and a small packing piece,but surely there is a part that has worn and can
be replaced.

I am reluctant to trust a fishing trip and possibly a great fish to a home solution.

I have spent days tinkering and looking at schematics and must admit to being stumped.

Any help most appreciated.

Especially since I have a couple of CV-zs which may show this problem down the track.

nelz

It might just need a good cleaning, could be gummed up inside. In the meantime (don't know if you're aware) you can manually push the thumbar up, it works that way too. I do that most of the time anyway by habit, saves wear and tear on the mechanism. It's similar to manually closing the bail on a spinner.

Ripley

Thanks for the tip.

I have used the reel a few times while the problem was intermittent and was aware of manually flipping it back.

Funny thing is, I hate auto bails on spinners, but it's so useful when lure fishing to engage a baitcaster with a wind
of the handle.

Strewth

Had this problem and, in my case, it was due to the thumb bar slot being worn in the frame. Only solution was to replace the frame and it is a known issue with these reels.

exp2000

This problem is quite common in Lunas too.
Refer to parts 28 and 29 in the attached schematic.

The clutch cam screw wears a slight depression in the edges of the slot in the yoke plate over time.
But the ends of the slot do wear proportionally and  become elevated relative to the worn lands.
This forms an edge at the ends of the slot which buts against the heel of the CC screw impeding  full travel of the plate.

To resolve this, just take a small half-round metal file and file a slight shamfer at the ends the slot.
This removes the edge, allowing it to slide under the heel restoring full travel of the yoke plate.

It is a good idea to check the clutch cam bearing while you are there.
Make sure the yoke plate has adequate lubrication and the yoke springs have not lost their tension and you are ready to go.

Ripley

Wow.

You have to love internet forums where any problem seems to have people who have "been there, done that".

Thanks for that idea.

As soon as I have time, I will follow your guide and update my progress.

Thanks again.

exp2000

How did you get on Ripley.

I have been out of commission for a while due to injury and it's amazing how quickly you can lose your edge.

I just did a 203 Luna which also had the same problem even after filing the clutch plate and then some old tricks came flooding back to me.

One thing I did was stretch the yoke springs a bit to restore their tension forcing the pinion to make it's full travel.

Another thing I did was to buff and polish the head and skirt of the pinion. This is critical to ensure uninterrupted travel in the bearing races which should also be checked for any signs of corrosion which may impede pinion travel causing the clutch to hang.

Once I did this, the clutch operated flawlessly :)
~

Ripley

Hi there,
                thanks for the comprehensive tips.

I did the reel a while ago and was certainly pleased with the improvement.

I am now tempted to go the extra mile and add your new suggestions.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help.