A New piece of Shop Equipment

Started by STRIPER LOU, December 10, 2017, 11:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Adam and I were discussing the wide body stars and I had mentioned, I really had no easy way to mill cut an Arc other than free hand. No rotary table, huh?

No rotary table, no DRO, no ball screws for the mill, and no multi axis controller. This stuff can get pretty expensive so most times one has to make do.

Gracie saw me doing some research on the rotary's and offered to chip in for my Christmas present.
Adam and I talked about the size and I was kinda leaning towards the 8". He thought that would be about right too as I believe our mills are roughly the same size.

Price wise there's a good jump between the 6 and 8" and in addition it seems as every time you go up a few inches in size, the weight just about doubles, so there's a lot to be taken into consideration.

At work, sizes ran for 12 to 24" and everything was Moore Special Tool. BIG BUCKS, but when working on medical equipment, I guess nothing was spared.

It came yesterday during the snow storm and although I did not see the FedEx guy, I could tell he carried it up the driveway! I called fedex and wanted to thank the driver as this thing was no light weight and I doubt it was a pleasant delivery for him.

I have to finish cleaning it and make some clamps and we'll be good to go. Seems nice and smooth.

Making reel frames and spacer bars on this will be much better than the lathe. Although it turns out well on the lathe, frames have to be set up again in the mill for the hole pattern. With this set up the inner and outer radii will be cut on the rotary table and the hole pattern will be put in on the same setup.

Hopefully I'll get to play with it next week. Wonder if I can talk her into a DRO for next Christmas?

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou

thorhammer

12/0 frame pretty please Santa??? 😎😎

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

handi2

I just watched a few videos just to see what this can do. Cool tool Lou ;D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cor

Looks very nice and very precise but I have no idea what it does ??? ???
Cornelis

Dominick

WOW!  Lets see some stuff.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Three se7ens

Very nice!  Good brand too  :)  I cant wait to see what kind of crazy things you work up with this.  Im a little spoiled by the CNC equipment at my work, but Ive always been fascinated in how things were done before the days of CNC. 

Swami805

I have no idea what that is or does but it sure looks cool! Looking forward to you pulling some rabbits out of that one.
BLW, Saw that knob your making me on the other post. Holy cow! looks better than I expected.

Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are