3M 3000G Trizact sandpaper

Started by STRIPER LOU, November 30, 2017, 01:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Maybe your already using this but if not, its some really good stuff. Been playing with it for a couple months now.

I probably go thru 25 bucks or better each month for wet r dry In grits of 320 to 3000. I have several containers with water and various grits handy as I use it all the time.

3000 can be difficult to get locally unless you have a lot of places that supply body shops.

Saw this at Home Depot and thought I'd give it a try. 1 sheet about 3" x 9" is $6.47. Not cheap. Its bonded to a sponge, about 3/32 thick and has a mesh backing for strength.

Works great on knobs, side plates, metal, etc. etc. I did a few side plates in the usual method and they were good, but when I hit them with this (wet) and then again in combination with polish, they came out amazing! Man its tough too as I'm still using the very first strip I cut!

Just keep in mind its 3000 grit and is made for clearcoat, so if you have a set of side plates that are trashed, this will not do it without other prep work. The bonding of the grit to the sponge is amazing and it looks like there are bits of tracks on the surface. I assume its to collect the muck and prevent loading and is only suitable for wet use.

Definitely worth a try. I only wish it were available in all varieties of grits.

.................Lou

Cor

Cornelis

Cadman

I use this as well and bought some 3M 5000 grit Trizact from Amazon for about $9.75 a sheet for polishing my brake plates on my ABU Revo MGX low profile bass reels. This works really well and brings my stainless steel brake plate to a mirror finish. By doing this, my brakes work effortlessly on the smooth surface of the polished brake plates. Although expensive, Trizact is a very good product.

Tiddlerbasher

Yup luv Trizact. I use 1" and 4" Trizact belts on my belt sanders - mainly for working on knife blades before final honing. For small quantities I use this guy on Fleabay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&cp=1&_ssn=johnt1102&item=110974569594&_osacat=0&euid=085b0514e45c43208faae8078435a495&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xtrizact.TRS0&_nkw=trizact+3000&_sacat=0

For the bigger belt sander I use this company:
https://bndabrasives.co.uk/sanding-belts-bands/3m-trizact-polishing-belts/51mm-100mm-width.html

Bought the last batch about 2 years ago - still going strong. Expensive yes - but they last and last.
Haven't tried the sheets yet - I will have to get some for refinishing plastic plates.

Benni3

Yes 3m makes some of the best products for paint and body work,,,,,after you use the 3000gt try there plastic compound,,,I have been using it for 25years  :)