Baitcast reels: magnetic or centrifugal brakes

Started by Three se7ens, December 16, 2017, 03:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I have read where some manufacturers claim the centrifugal brakes control the beginning of the cast while the magnetic brakes controls the ending of the cast. I think most of this is just marketing...making an argument for a dual system...and charging you more.
   In reality, both systems offer more resistance when spun hardest. Even knowing that, I'll admit, I really like the adjustability of a dual system. They can be dialed in to perfection. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tiddlerbasher

Mo - I tend to agree with that statement. We are swamped with marketing bs.
My preference for mag brakes is down to ease of adjustement and zero maintenance (keeping the friction surfaces clean). In use they both work. With mags I can adjust for a thumb free cast without a bird's nest :)

BradH

Quote from: Three se7ens on December 16, 2017, 09:55:09 PM
Sounds like mag is the way to go for me.  I mainly use spinning reels, especially for light stuff.  Im just interested in adding a baitcaster to the collection for heavier lures, and maybe bait for the few times I dont use artificials. 

Im looking at the Okuma cerros.  Not looking to spend the money on a komodo or daiwa lexa at this point, and I dont need the extra capacity either.  Im open to other suggestions though, in the $100 price range.

I did the same thing about two years ago.  The Lexa 100 was the best fit for me and the way I cast- I'm used to throwing spinners hard. Tried a couple Curados and a bunch of Abus and the Lexa clearly won out.  Throw mostly jigs from 1/2 to 1 1/4 oz often into the wind.

Daiwa doesn't make the Lexa 100 anymore. The closest model is the Fuego CT which comes in a couple different ratios.  The brakes are very similar to the old Lexa but the rest is better, though it doesn't have the latest and greatest Daiwa tech which keeps it nicely below $100.

tholmes

Quote from: oc1 on December 16, 2017, 07:59:11 AM
Now there are small baitcasting reels with both.  Depending on the rod and lure weight you roughly dial it in with the centrifugal brake tabs by removing the tail plate and then fine tune it with magnets controlled by a knob on the outside.
-steve

I have a couple of ABU 5600C4 mag reels that have both systems. I use them exactly as described by Steve and the method works very well. Neither (or both) are a replacement for a well-educated thumb.

Tom

fishhawk

I have 6500 rockets w/ centrifugal brakes (only use one) and akious w/ both and the rockets rarely backlash. Now my penn's are magged as heavy as I can and they rarely backlash either. So I'm presuming factory mags would work better if they were bigger.But I personally prefer my brakes mainly because of all the options of brake weights.
Mark

oc1

Quote from: fishhawk on December 18, 2017, 08:39:35 PM
Now my penn's are magged as heavy as I can and they rarely backlash either.

I have some old plated brass baitcasters that do not have enough room under the head plate and tail plate (combined) to fit enough magnets to make them cast thumb free.  Once the head plate is crammed full of magnets it will pick up a screwdriver but not stop the heavy brass spool.  It's not this reel (this one was finally slowed enough) but you get the idea.

The same brass spool can be slowed enough with a couple of little wooded centrifugal brake shoes (sliding blocks) that weigh almost nothing.  It's sort of curious.

-steve

fishhawk

Quote from: oc1 on December 19, 2017, 07:29:14 AM
Quote from: fishhawk on December 18, 2017, 08:39:35 PM
Now my penn's are magged as heavy as I can and they rarely backlash either.

I have some old plated brass baitcasters that do not have enough room under the head plate and tail plate (combined) to fit enough magnets to make them cast thumb free.  Once the head plate is crammed full of magnets it will pick up a screwdriver but not stop the heavy brass spool.  It's not this reel (this one was finally slowed enough) but you get the idea.

The same brass spool can be slowed enough with a couple of little wooded centrifugal brake shoes (sliding blocks) that weigh almost nothing.  It's sort of curious.

-steve

Exactly! I haven't had much luck with just using 1-3 magnets. Stack as many as you can, you can always remove some. Probably depends on spool. None of my abu's are magged, but I'm building one that has an aftermarket center mag with just one mag that I'm rather leary of. We'll see
Mark

Tiddlerbasher

The thicker the magnet(s) the better and get them as close to the spool as possible. Basically fit the biggest ones you can. N52 is the most powerful commercially available then N42 - you get the idea. I wouldn't go lower than N42.

Strewth

Quote from: Three se7ens on December 16, 2017, 03:47:26 AM
What is the practical difference between the two?  Is one better than the other, or just better suited for certain tasks?  Which is easier to learn on?

A scientific discussion of the various braking systems can be found here http://japantackle.com/tackle_topics/brake_system.htm

handi2

I didnt grow up using baitcasting reels so the Lexa was my first baitcast reel I could use. The mag's are the way to go for people like me. I still use spinning reels most of the time.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL