Reel Hande Penn International late 70s?

Started by GORDASKIPPER, December 23, 2017, 04:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GORDASKIPPER

I would like to know my options for a reel handle

Tightlines667

Not very many options for new complete handle assemblies.  There are no longer any stock handle assemblies available from Penn.  You can try to find a used or NOS 24-130ST from a third party, such as jdl treasures on Ebay.  

This handle assembly came in several styles over the years including a titanium arm, a heavy teardrop gold handle (most recent), and the standard hollow ended straight gold barrel(oldest).  The original arm was chromed bronze.  This handle, when available has sold for ~$250.  

The handle arm fits a type H gear sleeve...

134-130s, 5-130 gear sleeves.

The other option is a T-Bar from Tiburon TBP-130 ($67.45).

Or you could dremel/drill out the handle from the arm, and replace it with an aftermarket handle (such as Alan's, or the Accurate).  

I like the accurate handles myself.  Just order the following parts...

10 HANDLE KNOB 1 L-1520 $35.71
11 HANDLE KNOB HUB 1 L-1824 $10.07
12 HANDLE KNOB PIN 1 L-1822 $7.14
15 HANDLE ARM SCREW 1 L-1724 $5.00

Or

95 HANDLE SUB-ASSY 1 L-1908 $74.61
(Includes the arm which will not fit the reel w/o modification).

I am not sure if the handle arm for the 130VSX( 24-130VSSP ), or the 12-14-16/0 could be modified/machined to fit the 130-130h-130ST gear sleeve?

The 130VSX handle (25-80ST Knob, Handle Knob Assembly), should fit the existing spindle if you can remove the handle and screw.  If not, you could drill out the handle assembly, and replace with the 130vsx handle screws, spindle, and knob.

I am interested to know which of these listed options proves to be the most cost effective, and easiest to do, since it is a common problem on all these models.

Most of the guys here on Oahu have either sourced the NOS handle assembly from 3rd party sources, or converted to the T-bar.  I like the idea of using one of these other options more (particularly the Accurate ATD130 or 130VSX handles on the existing arm).

Good luck!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

Nice explanation John, this is a lot of information in one post!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Donnyboat

Nice work John, many of us have gained a lot, from your comments, thank, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

I wonder if Adam at motive fab could modify the hole to except that gear sleeve. Titanium would be pretty trick. That with an accurate handle would be a nice set up
Do what you can with that you have where you are