Newelled 501

Started by Yogi_fish808, April 15, 2018, 12:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Aloha AT Family,
I scored a pretty good deal on this 501 with a full Newell Conversion and the funky "long cast" bushings. I was really pleased with the condition of the whole reel, everything was fairly clean including the plates. I only had to add a 24-56 handle to make it period correct. I'm sure a few of you know I've got a soft spot for old school builds and couldn't resist this one. The narrow width is different than my usual wide kits that are popular here in Hawaii for surf/shorecasting, she'll get fished on boat/kayak missions for jigging or slow trolling bait. For now I just did the usual service and HT100s, but come time to fish her hard I'll be putting the usual stainless goodies in and Bryan's drag kit. Probably will be going with 65lb braid and a mono top shot.

Mahalos,
Kyle

Ron Jones

I've got one just like it w/ the exception of maroon plates. I really like the Newell bushings. They definitely increase freespool time and I cast farther with them. Whether that is because it casts farther or because I want it them to cast farther is, here is where I'd say something like remains to be seen but I'm getting older and my opinion has changed so I'm going to write, not really all that important, I cast farther with them and I like them a lot.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

Nice one! I like the graphite kit better than the aluminum. Does it have a graphite spool?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mhc

Nice 501 Kyle, those plates look unused.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

thorhammer

I have it's twin, big fan. Not as nice as yours, tho.  I'm a fan of the 24-56 for certain, and agree: I really like the throwback look of maroon plates and black frames / spacers and spools. Have those builds up through 6/0. If I could find vintage Stren Hi-vis gold in the heavier 50 / 80 lb I'd be set.

John

Gman_WC

Nice rig. I love my narrow jigmasters.
Good luck and upgrade pic's please.
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

mo65

That's a dandy Kyle...great score. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~