Lao Christmas

Started by twotone, January 04, 2018, 05:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twotone

We were in Vientiane, Laos , visiting the wife sister. Visiting is not the word for our trip. With 3 ladies on mission to see as much as possible in 10 days. I had no idea it was gonna be such a fast paced adventure. Out number,( 3 to 1) I put on my yes ladies attitude. Her sister and her friend were very well organized for this trip.No way we could have seen so much with out them.  Very fun and enjoyable time . Plane bus boat boat Plane boat bus boat bike bike boat boat bus.  Bus back to Vientiane. Our travel methods. Something like that.

On the second day we flew to LP and the ladies were scouting the place out. Finally at night fall ,we ending up in the local watering hole for a drink . Hungarian expat owned.The ladies were talking and catching up. Setting next to me was this nice lady from Tasmania . A frequent visitor here. Annie and I talk a lot , when the subject fishing came up. Ok here some intel at local tavvy. She knew a guy that new a Brit that had just got a small motorboat for tours. So I'm fishing maybe. A few shots and beers all was good.

I was able to fish 1 hr on the Nam Ou river mouth (near Pak Ou). This is where it dumps into  the Mekong up stream from Luang Prabang.  I got skunked , so no fish were caught.The boat is mainly for sight seeing along the Mekong, and now offering a little fishing.. With the only motor boat on the river this boat gets lots of looks. The British (Expat) owner is trying to get the first organized fishing started in this area. It was good just to wet a line on the Kong.It seemed that rod fishing is rarely used in this area for fishing. But when they do dial this in, it may become an excellent place to fish. I only saw one person using a rod and reel along the banks (a foreigner). The way of life here is using nets.

Saw many Temples thru out Laos. Visit to a whiskey village. Good stuff. Night market food vendors.

I found no info on the internet for fishing this area. No worry I brought along one  travel set and some tackle. But somehow I didn't pack the 4500 correctly and the rotor and bail were broken.  Yes the first time I checked a spinner. No fishing from the bank. Da----  it.

We flew to Pakse and down the MeKong to see 2 sets of beautiful waterfalls.
Biked to an old French port and yet another boat to see the Irrawaddy Dolphin.  Hiked to Vat Phou world heritage site. Amazing place.

Bus to a 7 kilometer river that runs thru a mountain.Konglor cave on the Hinboun river. Rice and tobacco country.

Am I nuts I can't even remember everything let lone some of the names. Probably because the girls really kept us on the move. I'm sure happy it was dry season. No humidity. Hardly

On the last day we crossed the border from Vientiane ,Laos into Thailand ,for one last try at fishing. Udon Thani Province proved successful. Fish on 7 Siamese crap landed and one baby Julian Golden carp. I did have one bite for a Amazon Redtail catfish. With 3 runs on the line and it popped off. Unlike Laos ,the Thai's offer internet advertising for organized fishing. There is no regulations for fish species in Thailand ,so many fish from around the world are raised to catch. Pretty much unlimited .

The big fish lake was closed due to pior fishing . They only fish them so many days  to let the fish rest or destress.
Boy are they serious about there fishing. Using landing nets and a landing mats that float for the big ones. Catch and release only. The owner Ian is very knowledgeable and helpful.
I can't say enough how cool the guy is. Hope to see him again.

Many thanks to the two ladies for showing my wife and myself the very beautiful country of Laos . Also to the friendly people in this region I thank you for kindness.

I see that their are members from this region of the world. Please correct me if I got something wrong such as spelling or not knowing the name of a place visited.

Sabaidee
twotone

twotone

Check out the fish collar
twotone

twotone

Siamese carp and one baby Julian golden
twotone

twotone

Thai beer.
Unlike Lao the Thai's have this side of the road.
twotone

twotone

play time
twotone

Shark Hunter

Great Pictures Anthony! At least you caught a few. You need one of those little pelican cases to keep that reel from getting damaged.
Life is Good!

twotone

Whiskey village . Absolutely brought some shine home! A funeral was going on so not many pics here.

Here's a bootlegg liquor store no kidding. Down by the river on sunset beach. Beer Lao anyone
twotone

twotone

I do.
Got parts ordered from Mo today.
twotone

twotone

So many Temples .Monks pounding Kongs ,chickens and dogs are early morning sounds.

Chilie peppers drying.  No preservatives in there delicious fresh cook food, so no one got sick.

The tuk tuk was another way around. Fun and cheap ride.

Look what the Monks have.
twotone

twotone

The dry season is the time for river bank gardening.  Pretty much every bit of bank has something growing on it.

Some of the bamboo bridges are only temporary. Taken down before the big rains come. So its a seasonal effort.   

Love this guys music ,from the night market. Got a video of him. I don't know how to convert from mp4 to post. and don't know why the pics a side ways.
twotone