Curado 100B

Started by ccm, January 07, 2018, 11:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccm

I am cleaning a couple of my Curado 100B's and have a couple of questions:

From the original schematics...part number 2170 is listed as "Ball Bearing" but it is not the bearing (#194) that the spool shaft goes through. Don't know the proper name for this bearing and don't know if it
    spins just like the spool bearing. Therefore don't know if I should use oil or grease on it.

How much oil should I put on the spool bearings (#194) after I get them cleaned? I had read somewhere that you should apply only 1 drop but doesn't seem like much oil, but what do I know.

If anyone can shed some light on these two questions it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Charlie

Bill B

Welcome Charlie.  Any spool bearings should get a light oil.  I use ReelX others use TSI.  With either of these one drop will do ya. The bearings are not very big so a drop should be enough.  If you fish this in salt water regular maintenance will be required.  Fresh water once a year.

Hope this helps.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

handi2

The bearing in the right side plate is a spool bearing and the 3x10x4 bearing under the tension cap is a spool bearing. I oil all of them. Too much oil is OK because when you start using the reel the oil slings out.

The arbor of the spool fits the bearings that's in the frame. The end of the spool shaft fits the outer smaller bearing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ccm

Thanks for the replies and advice, they are both greatly appreciated.

One more question about part #2170....does this bearing revolve during a cast or does it only provide support to the spool when the spool is under pressure/

Thanks

Charlie

handi2

I think it provides support more than anything else. I still oil them.

In many other low profile reels there is a bearing on the spool and the bearing in the frame. In this case when I need to replace the one in the frame its greased. It didnt effect freespool.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

methinks 2170 is the pinion bearing (for smooth retrieve/engagement) -- in freespool, it's disengaged & 0194 spool bearings are the only points of contact w/ the spool shaft

light oil for 0194: oil doesn't bead like water -- 1 drop will spread over a surprisingly large surface area; excess "slings out", but how much & where does it go?  ...probably somewhere you intentionally put grease, that you don't want diluted

light grease for 2170 -- heavier for S/W, if you don't mind a less effortless retrieve