Making a wiiide Penn #65 Long Beach

Started by Superhook, November 24, 2015, 01:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Max Doubt on November 30, 2015, 06:03:23 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on November 29, 2015, 06:54:59 PM
We talked about this a year or two ago, it's here somewhere in black & white.
The 66-67 & 68 spool will give you a narrow- a standard and a wide 4/0.

Sal, I looked at that thread and that particular narrowed 4/0 is done with aftermarket frame. I didn't see your narrowed 4/0 using only penn seat and frame posts.

I am using penn factory parts to narrow these. Seat, posts, etc. My guess is there must be a bit of interest on this subject by looking at the huge number of hits this thread has in just a few days.
And you are absolutely correct! Sorry buddy, I'm a slow learner, it takes me a while ::).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Holy cow, good read.  Enjoying this 'Stock Franken-modding'.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sharkman

So to narrow a 3/0 use longbeach spool and 99 base.  Are there any other bases that will work?

Maxed Out

Quote from: sharkman on February 01, 2016, 04:56:57 PM
So to narrow a 3/0 use longbeach spool and 99 base.  Are there any other bases that will work?

Sharkman, yes a long beach 65 spool and posts. The 65 posts are a very common part and are also found on a 66, 209, 309, 160, 165

The 99 seat is the only one that fits the narrowed 3/0, or widened 2/0 senators.

99 seats are a tough find, but they still pop up now and then. Another option is a donor 99 reel.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Ron Jones

Quote from: sharkman on February 01, 2016, 04:56:57 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but that would basically be a 65, which uses a 66 base that has a clamp. I don't think I'd narrow a relatively rare 3/0 Senator to make a 65. If you had a bunch of 99 stands around and a bunch of 3/0s then maybe, but I don't think there are that many around.

Then again, the 3/0 uses the 66 main gear and so you can make a 65 sized reel with enough drag to pull down the Empire State Building. That would be a winch.

To each his own I guess.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Maxed Out

Don't know if that's a compliment or an insult......or maybe both ?
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Ron Jones

I don't know that I've ever insulted anyone here. Alan has worked to hard to make this such a cool place. Besides, he wouldn't invite me to Cedros in 2018, and my wife wants Yellowtail.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Decker

Yet another great franken-reel thread rediscovered by a relative newbie ;D