The Sailfisher 130 Project

Started by mo65, January 13, 2018, 08:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

And all back together. Not without it's hiccups though. On closer inspection the rod clamp had a near full thickness break, as evidenced by the corrosion on the break. I noticed a few small cracks on the rings where the rod clamps go, and then while doing the eccentric screw up the top of the screw cracked off. I like to think I'm strong, but it was with minimal force so must've had a stress fracture already as well. It was pretty stiff to undo, so perhaps I caused it then. Looks like I have to track down one of them, will have a look at Penn parts.

sabaman1

Mo, what was the ratio of liquid soap to baking soda for the cleaning solution ?
JIM

mo65

Quote from: sabaman1 on January 26, 2024, 06:05:15 PMMo, what was the ratio of liquid soap to baking soda for the cleaning solution ?

Just a few drops of soap to a pile in the palm of my hand...no real science to it. :fish
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

UKChris1

I've enjoyed this series and it has promped me to look again at the Sailfisher I have sitting on the reel shelf. It always seemed very well built compared to many Penns of a similar vintage - just purred nicely when fiddled with.

Going to strip it down, clean it up and load with some line for general bottom fishing here in the UK. Probably overkill for almost everything, but we do have to contend with strong tides in most places and leads of 10oz are not unusual. Would look nice alongside my other rod with its 349HC Super Mariner that is kept for those times when over 1lb of lead is needed, even with PE braid.