What side plates or frames would you want made that would get everyone on board

Started by mikeysm, January 14, 2018, 07:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

Hello all,
Whatever you guys come up with, I hope you will give me a chance to put them on that beautiful new mill! ;D
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Now that is Funny. ;)
I know what is on the list.
The Chairmen.
It takes years of prep.
Tom is the one that will make your wishes come true.
Master Craftsmen.
Life is Good!

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Maxed Out

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on January 15, 2018, 03:46:07 AM
Hello all,
Whatever you guys come up with, I hope you will give me a chance to put them on that beautiful new mill! ;D
Tom

Oh boy, let the good times roll !!

349 side plates would be wonderful !!....

.....but so will anything else you decide to dream up.....I'm in !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Quote from: mikeysm on January 15, 2018, 02:21:21 AM
The TDL already have frames out there and plenty of parts. The side plates are the weak point of the reel. So it would benifit from aluminum plates. The 114 hnn frame would be a great choice also. I don't see making anymore smaller reel parts since Tom and Alan C have that already covered. You have to get so many people on board or it is just a waste of time. Anyway I was just throwing the idea out there anyway. You never know what people are willing to buy.

Mike

Enlighten me, please. There are TLD aftermarket frames out there? To my knowledge the weakest high stress link in this reel is the factory graphite frame, especially the base area around foot and clamp. Side plates on this well designed, light-weight, relatively inexpensive LD would be awesome, but I'd wanna start upgradin with the frame.
Gfish
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

rjones

Quote from: otownjoe on January 14, 2018, 10:10:36 PM
Magnum jigmaster with a spool that can handle the drag pressure of all the upgrades.

I know that this is just a wish list, but the jigmaster magnum would be the top of my list.
Rob

STRIPER LOU

Yup, Jiggy Magnum! Or a 4/0 magnum.

Ah, the wish list!

..............Lou

Tightlines667

Quote from: Gfish on January 15, 2018, 07:01:09 PM
Quote from: mikeysm on January 15, 2018, 02:21:21 AM
The TDL already have frames out there and plenty of parts. The side plates are the weak point of the reel. So it would benifit from aluminum plates. The 114 hnn frame would be a great choice also. I don't see making anymore smaller reel parts since Tom and Alan C have that already covered. You have to get so many people on board or it is just a waste of time. Anyway I was just throwing the idea out there anyway. You never know what people are willing to buy.

Mike

Enlighten me, please. There are TLD aftermarket frames out there? To my knowledge the weakest high stress link in this reel is the factory graphite frame, especially the base area around foot and clamp. Side plates on this well designed, light-weight, relatively inexpensive LD would be awesome, but I'd wanna start upgradin with the frame.
Gfish
Gfish

Tom finished up with the most recent batch of frames for the Charter Special Tr1000, and Tr2000 Charter specials.  

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22940.0

These are available from Alan, and make a great alternative for the old TLD 5 and 10, and compete well with some of the Avets.  

Your thoughts on using the TLD series as a starting point for upgrading a lightweight, cost-effective lever drag reel have some seeious merit IMHO.  

Some of these models could easily be pushed to produce higher drag numbers, if they had solid frames, side plates, SS double dogs, and possibly modified SS cams/bellevilles that could handle increased loads.  An integral frame/tailplate, with an aluminum headplate designed for double dogs to be used with existing TLD internals could make for a sweet, lightweight lever drag.  Some of these models come with aluminum spools, and can even accommodate larger drag discs, and steeper Belleville configurations then the stock reel.  The challenge would be to make a kit or kits, that keep the reel in a price point that competes with existing models.  

The top of my wish list would be a 30 sized, 2 speed reel, capable of utilizing 50 drag components, and putting out numbers similar to the Tiagra 50WLRS.  It seems like this would be possible.  A new 50WLRS sells for about $600.  A 2 speed TLD 30II sells for about $240.  That leaves some wiggle room for upgrades.

Alternatively, a 20 reel could be made with 30 drag components, and a steeper cam/Bellevilles to produce 50 size drag numbers.

Bear in mind Tiburon and others do, or have offered upgrades for these reels, but I believe They have been out of stock for some time, and they did not offer the machined head plate or double SS dogs (at least not in recent times?).  Alan may have a few of these frames float around.

http://www.tiburonfishingreels.com/shimano-tld-2-speed-reels

Here is a Tiburon TLD 30 2 speed conversion for reference...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NICE-CUSTOM-SHIMANO-TLD30-2-speed-fishing-reel-with-TIBURON-MAGNUM-CONVERSION/222790723470?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20171010182013%26meid%3Dc8b9d392595942f1ab0d5ce1a73997a5%26pid%3D100890%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D112719613290&_trksid=p2056116.c100890.m2460

And here is the alternative TLD 30 2-speed, Will Fish conversion...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-TLD-30-2-SPEED-CUSTOM-WITH-WILL-FISH-FRAME-100-LB-SPECTRA/112719613290?hash=item1a3e9ccd6a:g:ycAAAOSwAaJaRmLA

This concept could be applied to the 20, 30, or 50 class reels.  I think the 2-speed upgrades would make more sense (financially speaking) to me.  

As a case in point, I have a local charter boat captain friend that has accumulated a whole box full of 'junk TLD 2 speeds that were just not cost-effective (i.e. parts costs were greater then buying a new reel) to repair.  I am sure he would be willing to sell me these 'parts reels' for cheap.  I am sure there are many of these nonfunctioning older TLDs 'parts reels' out there that could be had for cheap, or the new ones are actually not that expensive to begin with.

I think it is worthwhile to take a closer look at a frame/side plate/doible dog/drag/belleville upgrade kit for the TLD series of reels.

Another couple of requests would be:

-A run of replacement stands for the gen 1 Penn International 80 reels (often fail, and replacements are hard to come by)

-A batch of Penn International 130ST clicker pawl (could simply turn down the 130VSX pawl to specs).  These are no longer available, and often need replacing.

-A SS handle arm that fits the 130ST, or maybe alternative arms for the Tiagra 80, and 130 reels.  There are plenty if suitable handle knobs available, but the arms are tough to come by, and right now the Tiburon T-bar lite, and the reel colors handle are the only options fir the 130ST reels.  A SS arm would give folks upgrade options for under $100.

-Penn clicker ratchet plates that have non-evenly spaced holes/teeth to give the clickers a louder/more custom sound.  Although not needed, I think these would sell.  I have heard alot of trolling customers complain that the Penn clickers should sound more like the Tiagras.

Just some ideas.

John  
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

I'm with John on this one. The Penn 113H is the number one charter boat service reel with the TLD being their go to trolling reel. At least in the Gulf of Mexico.

I can't keep a TLD of any size in the shop and have built plenty the aforementioned Charter Special reels with the machined frames for customers.

Here the TLD is used inshore and offshore for bottom and trolling fishing. The TLD 20/25 single and two speed would be a good candidate for the frames. And the TLD 30 with a "square" frame.

One piece frame and side plate please.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

boon

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 15, 2018, 07:40:16 PM
Your thoughts on using the TLD series as a starting point for upgrading a lightweight, cost-effective lever drag reel have some seeious merit IMHO.  

I thought this too but thinking about it harder it doesn't really make economic sense.

After you throw a whole lot of $$ (frame and side plates and misc upgrades would have to be in the $200 territory, surely?) at it you basically have a single-speed Tyrnos - we'll assume the side plate is double-dogged etc.

Just going off Tackledirect, $189 for a new TLD25, so we're looking at $389 for the upgraded model. This is just over the cost of a Tyrnos 2-speed - so why wouldn't you just buy a Tyrnos? Or, an admittedly smaller reel but still all metal, 2 speed, and very good, an Okuma Metaloid 12II for $299?

Tightlines667

Quote from: boon on January 16, 2018, 01:51:35 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 15, 2018, 07:40:16 PM

I thought this too but thinking about it harder it doesn't really make economic sense.

After you throw a whole lot of $$ (frame and side plates and misc upgrades would have to be in the $200 territory, surely?) at it you basically have a single-speed Tyrnos - we'll assume the side plate is double-dogged etc.

Just going off Tackledirect, $189 for a new TLD25, so we're looking at $389 for the upgraded model. This is just over the cost of a Tyrnos 2-speed - so why wouldn't you just buy a Tyrnos? Or, an admittedly smaller reel but still all metal, 2 speed, and very good, an Okuma Metaloid 12II for $299?

The Tyrnos is not the same reel, I had in mind.  It is smaller/less line capacity, has a cast frame, and plastic side plates, and would not have the drag capacity that A Super TLD might be able to achieve.  Admittedly, the cost would likely be higher, but this going to be the case with most of the super/upgraded reels.  I like the concept of finding a use for all of those older TLDs.  Alot of details would need to be sorted in order for this to make sense.  And you may be right, it might not.  But I think it is worthy of serious consideration.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Swami805

Just some handle side magnum plates for the CC squider and jigmaster kits. One side plate would be a great project for that shiny new machine.  CC kits in regular or magnum?
Do what you can with that you have where you are