Help - Spacers not on schematic

Started by xaf, January 26, 2018, 10:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

Need some help.  I tore my Tanacom 1000 down for a good cleaning and lube (which it badly needed).  I followed Redzwolf's thread "Tanacom 750 Service" in the Daiwa Tutorials and Questions as a guide. I had no problem disassembling it, giving it a good cleaning and lubeing everything and am now ready to reassemble it.  EXCEPT, the two spacers shown below fell out as I was taking the left side plate off and I didn't get a chance to see where they came from. One is brass and the other is a hard phenolic/bakelite type material.    I did not see them in Redzwolf's pictures and can't find them on the Tanacom 1000 schematic. Examining the reel I can't find anyplace where it would be logical (at least in my mind) for them to go. 

Sorry, just spent 2 hours trying to upload a picture but no matter what instructions I followed, category I created, or how I tried to post it, I kept getting an error message. So no picture. 

Both spacers are flat, round and have no holes in them.  The brass one is very thin and abut 1/4 inch in diameter.  The other spacer is made of a hard, plastic-like material, is about twice as thick as the brass spacer and slightly larger, maybe 3/8 inch diameter.

I would really appreciate help if anyone has knowledge of the Tanacom's inner workings and knows where the spacers are supposed to be installed.  I'm sort of desperate, since I plan to use the reel in a couple days and need to get it reassembled soon.

handi2

Let me see if I can find the pictures I posted on here at some time.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

just in general (no big Daiwa exp):  should be some tiny metal+other pressure plate arrangement (that tends to fall out  >:( ) for the tip of the spool shaft...  look in the oil cap or opposite end

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

To easily replace the handle side cover do not put the plastic spacer on until you have the cover on. Slide the plastic spacer in place followed by the spring washers.

Keith

http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/image/power_assist/TB750.pdf
Gulf Breeze, FL

xaf

Thanks for the input handi2 and philaroman.  Handi the links you provided show the right side plate.  I'm almost positive the spacers came from the left side plate.  After quite a bit of experimentation, I think I found just about the only place they could go, beneath the free spool adjustment.  Like philaroman said I believe it acts as a pressure plate (but it's not at the end of the spool shaft.

I guess I won't know for sure until I use it.  I did pretty much everything I could here on my work bench and it seemed to function properly.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

handi2

Are we talking about the same reel? The Tanacom 750 or 1000?

I assume you took the entire reel apart which is not an easy task. I have a few times but you must take your time and use tape to keep things in order. Its like a kids plastic toy. Each plastic piece holds another.

Why did you have to get the spool out?

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

xaf

It is the Tanacom 1000 not the 750.  It was close enough that I could follow Redzwolf's thread on the 750.  I have used the reel quite a bit over the past 2-3 years and wanted to give it a good cleaning and see if there was any wear that I should be concerned about.  I kept track of the parts and where they went as I took the out.  But like I said the 2 spacers fell out before I had a chance to see where they came from.
I'm glad I tore it completely down.  It was quite dirty inside.  There was a build up of a fine lint/fuzz.  Some places it had mixed with grease and had become a gummy mess.  The only place that i can think where it may have come from is the braid line going through the level wind.  The spool wasn't an issue. Once I had the reel torn down it was easy just to slid it out of the frame.  I took it out really just to get it out of the way while I cleaned the rest of the inards.  The only thing I did to the spool was clean and re-grease the gears.
I found a few small parts (o rings, level wind pawl, dog spring, etc.) that showed a little wear that I am going to order just to have on hand in case I need to replace them.