Gear Cleaning

Started by Scattergun2570, January 29, 2018, 10:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

So I have my Old Greenie Curado apart and I realized it has very dark marks in the spot that the larger drag washer sat in. So I have it soaking in mineral spirits since last night..but it doesn't appear to have made a dent in the marks..suggestions on how to get it really clean?

handi2

Is this is the main gear or on the ratchet underneath. Anyway it doesn't hurt a thing. I'm sure you got it clean but removing the staining is something that is not required.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

ditto...  if it's perfectly smooth, roll with it

Tightlines667

If it's a bronze gear, a soak in vinegar does wonders to remove staining, and bring back the factory new shine.  It's really just cosmetics that no one but you will likely see though.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: handi2 on January 29, 2018, 11:17:45 PM
Is this is the main gear or on the ratchet underneath. Anyway it doesn't hurt a thing. I'm sure you got it clean but removing the staining is something that is not required.

Main;gear

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 29, 2018, 11:31:47 PM
If it's a bronze gear, a soak in vinegar does wonders to remove staining, and bring back the factory new shine.  It's really just cosmetics that no one but you will likely see though.

John

Why is it black though? Is that from old grease ?

MarkT

Carbon and grease residue from the old Dartanium drags.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Scattergun2570

Quote from: MarkT on January 29, 2018, 11:49:18 PM
Carbon and grease residue from the old Dartanium drags.

that`s what i figured,,so its not a big deal to leave it.

mrwilson99

I usually just clean out the old grease and check for any missing tooth. But I use Gunslick Gun-Flush Degreaser and takes the grease right off.
David