Got to Love Sears

Started by foakes, January 18, 2018, 04:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Sears has been a brick and mortar store that I have been loyal to all of my life.

They are currently having their struggles, like nearly every other major retailer in this changing market of online, Amazon, and increased competition.

They have a little deal they call a "Rewards Member Club".  Basically, it is free -- then you get bonuses, free cash to spend, incentives, and special deals.

Been a member for around 12 years, or so -- get an update and offers in my email maybe 2 times a week.

The free cash points can be applied to clearance or sale items, or whatever.

Needed to exchange (2) pin punches that I broke for new ones last week (Craftsman Lifetime Guarantee, over the counter, no receipt or questions asked).  A 1/16" and a 3/32" that I break about twice a year through heavy usage.  They handed me the 1/16" -- did not have the 3/32" in stock.  Offered to get it from another store, order it, or order it and send it to me via UPS -- no extra charge.  That is what I opted for.  They even gave me shipping confirmation and updates as to ETA at my home.

So then while there, I had $11.84 in free cash that they send me about every 3 weeks to spend.  

Picked up a driver and drill bit 100 piece set for about $3 net plus tax -- ran $3.87 for a $29.99 set, on sale for $14.99 -- less the $11.84.  Didn't really need it -- however, I was impressed with the useful variety, instead of the normal bits I would likely never use, the quality well hinged case, and the value.  Great little set for those honey-dids and just to toss in the tool bag when helping a neighbor or friend.  And plenty of extra room on each side for odd bits or screw assortments.

When I need a new appliance, set of tires, battery, or whatever -- Sears is always a place I check out first.  Even on big ticket items -- they have a price match, less 10% policy.

I never leave an old friend for a new one -- just end up having 2 friends instead of 1.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Good company, but they are struggling here also. I think it's because of there policy past "Customer Relations First"!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

I love Sears too, but their change is customer service leaves a lot to be desired.  They were the best and one of the worst.  Only place where there are some product knowledge is the large appliance.

I come from a family of retired Sears employees.  Gotta love Sears family shopping nights and employee discounts.  I hope they can turn things around.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

swill88

Thanks for the tickler Fred. I just checked and have $9.95 waiting for me. Forgot about it!

Steve

Reel 224

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 18, 2018, 05:23:49 PM
I love Sears too, but their change is customer service leaves a lot to be desired.  They were the best and one of the worst.  Only place where there are some product knowledge is the large appliance.

I come from a family of retired Sears employees.  Gotta love Sears family shopping nights and employee discounts.  I hope they can turn things around.

And that is a shame, but the world has set prescience on poor customer relations and poor guilty products. "RANT" But true.

Joe............. ;) ;D   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 18, 2018, 05:23:49 PM

They might change things around, Bryan -- but with their debt, fixed costs, and inability to change their retailing model drastically in this new developing world-wide market -- I do not think they will survive.

What they will do, is spin and sell off their 3 main product lines to stay afloat as long as possible.

This will be Craftsman (already happening), Kenmore, and Diehard.

But they are in a death spiral currently -- with inexperienced management and low payed employees who care more about what is on their smart phone than the customer.

Gone are the days, where folks like my Dad, could make a good living working at Sears for their career.

When the (3) main product lines are sold off to others -- we will see stores closing, and eventually stockholders and bankers will demand a return on their money -- or at least to salvage some of their investment.

In the meantime, we can take advantage of some of their offerings.

But make no mistake, it will not be forever...

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

another long time loyal Sears shopper here.  back in 73 when I first got married.  Sears was the only place I could get credit and there I purchased everything.  over the years I remained loyal to them and 20 years ago when I remodeled my kitchen it was equipped with all Sears top of the line appliances.  their appliance replacement program has kept everything from my bbq to my freezer, fridge, ovens and dishwasher in great shape and replaced a few of them at zero cost to me.  my toolbox is filled with craftsman tools.  i too have watched their slow decline, hoping they might somehow stay afloat. 
in fact I think I will go by there this morning and wander through the tool department.

Keta

Our Sears is small but I hope they don't close it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

festus

Our local Sears, which had been here as long as l remember closed about 5 years ago. I was at their Knoxville location less than a month ago and their tool department sure had a lot of empty space.  I did get out of there with a pair of shoes for $45 which were $75 at J.C. Penny's just down the mall a ways.

MarkT

The Sears closest to me closed a couple of years ago (Laguna Hills Mall).  That end of the mall has been torn down, I don't know what will replace it.  There's an OSH near me that carries Craftsman tools.  Most of my hand tools are Craftsman.  I still prefer them to Husky from Home Depot.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

got inspired by the thread so I went online to sears.com and purchased a new 19.2 volt 3/8" drill driver kit, comes with the drill, a soft bag, charger and 2-19.2 volt batteries.  should be the same batteries my craftsman impact wrench uses.  I recently purchased two batteries for it from fleabay, they advertised them as craftsman and what I got was some knockoff that looked like craftsman but nowhere on the batteries does it say craftsman, they were half the price and I should have known better.  One of them would not take a charge at all, the other overheated during charging and nearly caught fire, it was all I could do to unplug the charger and fling it out of my garage, I had to hose it down to be able to touch it. I contacted the seller but hes never responded.  Chalk it up as a good lesson learned, so much for buying cheap.  So this deal normally 149.00 on sale for 99.00 will replace my 25 year old drill driver and provide me with batteries for both tools for a good many years to come.

Long Enuff

Lowes will start carrying Craftsman tools this year, Black and Decker now owns the Craftsman brand.  Ace Hardware carries Craftsman here locally now. Whirlpool refused to renew their contract to manufacture Sears Kenmore appliances. They are own their death bed and only add to the losses every month. Sears has only stayed alive this long by selling off assets, mainly very prime and expensive real estate. It would be less painful for them to go ahead and pull the plug instead of this slow grind to the inevitable end.

MarkT

Black & Decker owns a bunch of brands... Stanley, B&D, DeWalt, Craftsman, Porter Cable, Irwin, more!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Lost our one and only Sears 3yrs. ago. Love Craftsman brand tools, but I don't know 'bout Black & Decker as the brand owner and how that'll affect quality. B.&D. was some good stuff back in the day, but now I don't think so. It's the brand I expect to see in Wallyworld or Km__t. I Believe before too long, we'll probably lose our Km__t, too.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Quote from: MarkT on January 18, 2018, 09:03:57 PM
Black & Decker owns a bunch of brands... Stanley, B&D, DeWalt, Craftsman, Porter Cable, Irwin, more!
Really? I like Dewalt, Craftsman and Portor Cable, Stanely's ok. Hmmm...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!