ATD 12 handle binding at max drag setting

Started by j28, July 07, 2011, 09:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

First bearing that usually fails is #16.  Then #82.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

EvoX

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 19, 2013, 06:43:32 AM

Thanks Bryan.  I would guess the tension cam bearing would encounter less salt water intrusion because
of the tension cam cover and the heavy grease application in this area, but guess I was wrong.

Still waiting for Alan on the feedback on using thrust bearing for #16.

johndtuttle

Quote from: EvoX on May 19, 2013, 09:06:34 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on May 19, 2013, 06:43:32 AM

Thanks Bryan.  I would guess the tension cam bearing would encounter less salt water intrusion because
of the tension cam cover and the heavy grease application in this area, but guess I was wrong.

Still waiting for Alan on the feedback on using thrust bearing for #16.

A thrust bearing does not work because more of the force is in the opposite direction when the spool is loaded. Replacing the existing bearing with a thrust bearing will interfere with smooth drag performance at higher settings.

I had a lot of the same questions when I first started working on my lever drag reels and thought it was terrible that pushing the lever to full essentially destroys the reel. Unfortunately the engineering issues are all well known and I assure you the engineers at any of these companies are well aware, it's just that there is only so much they can do about it.

The problem is that the consumer does not want to pay for the true solution (angular contact bearings) as they are $1-200 each. Instead, you have to learn to fish your reel inside it's design parameters or frequently replace the pinion bearings ($10 each), your choice.

best regards

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jonathan.han

raw instinct

day0ne

The biggest mistake is thinking that "max drag" is turning the preset all the way one direction and pushing the lever all the way. This isn't a star drag. Accurate will tell you that max drag on say a 600 is thirty lbs. Will it get more drag? Yes but it will probably screw something up. I believe the ATD 12 should max at 40 lbs. If you check with Accurate they usually will tell you. A good rule of thumb is if the handle is harder to turn, or you have lost freespool, you have exceeded max drag. A scale is required.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter