Thanks and I Thought I Would Share....

Started by sundancer, January 13, 2018, 04:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

Gentlemen

I have asked for help several times and you guys have always offered assistance without issue.. 

I have offered thoughts without getting a beating   ;)

I have lurked around to see 'what was going on'. 
I just wanted to share that I have turned on a guy at work to the Penn 9's.  He is now a believer..  Today he is overhauling his 6 Penn 9's.  The first one gave him some trouble.  I was able to help due to the information I was able to get from you guys. 

His issue..  New Drag Washers and way too tight static Drag.  After chasing down the obvious possibilities I had him look at the Spacing Sleeve (Star Bushing).  When comparing the Reel with the new Washers to one he hasn't opened yet - the new Washer one has a substantially longer Sleeve than the non-molested one.  He will be sanding down the long Sleeve and watching as he rebuilds the others.

I find when buying used, you never know what the PO did over the years. 

Anyway.  Always enjoy your company and comments.. 

Steve

PS

mo65 - I still owe you a test of mod'ing a Reel Seat to use as a 309 Frame Strengthener..

Tight Lines and Stay Safe
Miles to go.....,

alantani

we have lots of short spacing sleeves.  it's the long ones that are hard to find. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sundancer

should i tell him to 'not' mod the long sleeve and get a short one?
Miles to go.....,

sundancer

Miles to go.....,

Gfish

Good to know 'bout lots a short spacers. I don't like sanding 'em down by hand as I can't get 'em even(possible excessive internal wear?).
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

I would change the drag washer thickness before shortening the spacer. 

Gregg, set the spacer down on a mirror and look at it from an angle as you slowly turn it.  You can tell by the way the reflection and the spacer line up whether it is square or not.
-steve

sundancer

Steve

It is too late on the Spacer, but, for for my benefit, I wasn't aware there were different thicknesses.

We have a Tackle Shop that rebuilds Penns and get some parts from them.

We just tell them what model we have they hook us up..

Are there different thicknesses?

S
Miles to go.....,

oc1

Quote from: sundancer on January 13, 2018, 08:19:02 PMAre there different thicknesses?

Probably not different thicknesses of Penn parts.  But if you cut your own and keep sheets of a couple of different thickness around you can adjust as needed.
-steve