SS 12-155 Yoke

Started by cbar45, October 12, 2016, 01:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

I agree Sal, gears, gear sleeves, & dogs are neccesary for strength & durability. A lot of the other internal parts are bling. As for jacks & yokes brass is naturely slicker then ss. But keeping ss lubed nulifies that.

cbar45

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 13, 2016, 03:10:42 AM
Should I design and cut these yokes?  It costs me a minimum of $500 to do a run of yokes for each size. Therefore I'm reluctant to do so unless there is sufficient interest.

Well, I don't necessarily need a high-speed 210; it was just tinkerer's curiosity that got me going on this.. ;)

If you do decide to make a run at cutting the yokes though, count me in as interested.

Chad

RowdyW

Quote from: cbar45 on October 13, 2016, 03:56:17 AM
Quote from: RowdyW on October 13, 2016, 02:47:18 AM
It's very strange that the factory ss gear doesn't damage the brass yoke but the PC gears would. Have you done any testing?

Yes, out of curiosity I tried installing Pro-Challenger 4.8:1 Jigmaster gears in the 210.

With minimal load they run nice and smooth, but once you tighten the drag and pull out some line you can feel the pinion start to bind.

Disassembled the reel and noted the tell-tale brass shavings and semicircle gouge mark, where the pinion rides within the yoke.

The stainless PC yoke meant to be paired with the Jigmaster gears is also noticeably thicker than the stock 12-155.

I don't know if that is a contributing factor, but the pinion appears to have less axial play when used in conjunction w/the PC stainless yoke.  

The gouge mark is from a burr or finish in the pinion is not smooth enough. The reason for less axil play is the ss yoke is thicker. If the brass yoke were the same thickness results would be identical.

Alto Mare

Also, tolerance is tighter on ProChallenger's parts, this requires more effort going in and out of gear. His ss parts don't flex much when paired all works as it should.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cbar45

Thanks guys,

As it is now that 210 is running stock Penn 4:1 (steel) Jigmaster gears and doing fine.

I know I'm not alone when I say that 10's and 210's have untapped potential.

Magged and with the level-wind removed, the 210 casts like a bullet.

Bryan's 5-stack, Alan C's stainless sleeve, and Keta's stainless dog are the only other upgrades so far.

An aluminum frame would be nice, but in lieu of that I am working on adding a few more crossbars..:)

Alto Mare

Quote from: cbar45 on October 13, 2016, 04:17:36 AM
Thanks guys,

An aluminum frame would be nice, but in lieu of that I am working on adding a few more crossbars..:)

I agree!
I'm also looking for an aluminum frame for my 970's, 980's & 990's. Who knows, anything is possible here :).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Should I design and cut these yokes?  It costs me a minimum of $500 to do a run of yokes for each size. Therefore I'm reluctant to do so unless there is sufficient interest.
What would your cost be to members?

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 13, 2016, 04:38:09 AM
Should I design and cut these yokes?  It costs me a minimum of $500 to do a run of yokes for each size. Therefore I'm reluctant to do so unless there is sufficient interest.
$5/yoke
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 13, 2016, 05:08:14 AM
$5/yoke
I don't see why this wouldn't be a go.
Thanks Bryan!

JRD

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 13, 2016, 05:08:14 AM
$5/yoke

I would need two of those if your making them, the next quest would be the SS jack plate 11-200. 

jigmaster501

Bryan,

I need a 12-155 yoke for the 970.

I am hoping Tom makes a frame for it.

Could you make a batch of stainless yokes. I am sure that we could all get them bought up fast.

Thanks

Eugene