The Ugly Duckling 970 Project Update: Updated 10/9/18

Started by xjchad, January 25, 2018, 05:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Quote from: Decker on March 26, 2018, 06:11:25 PM
Quote from: xjchad on March 22, 2018, 01:53:04 AM

Don't know why I didn't think about adapting a knob to the mag, great idea! I'm on it!

Chad,  think that would be very useful for the 970, 980, and 990, and would be willing to buy a few.  It would be nice too if it were possible to install a larger magnet.  

Joe,
I'm playing with it this week.  The magnets I use in my kits are already stronger than the ones that came in the reel.  I might be able to squeeze a larger one in as well.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

xjchad

Decided to upgrade the double dog set up by making a set of stainless dogs to go with the stainless sleeve.
A little time with the dremmel and file converted a pair of stainless 113H dogs.

xjchad

Quote from: xjchad on March 26, 2018, 06:14:43 PM
Quote from: Decker on March 26, 2018, 06:11:25 PM
Quote from: xjchad on March 22, 2018, 01:53:04 AM

Don't know why I didn't think about adapting a knob to the mag, great idea! I'm on it!

Chad,  think that would be very useful for the 970, 980, and 990, and would be willing to buy a few.  It would be nice too if it were possible to install a larger magnet.  

Joe,
I'm playing with it this week.  The magnets I use in my kits are already stronger than the ones that came in the reel.  I might be able to squeeze a larger one in as well.

So I was able to do a Mag kit on my 970.  Still putting this reel together so I'll hopefully test it out on Saturday.
Not ready to make it a kit yet, but working on it.

Decker

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Thanks guys!  Hoping to do final assembly tonight and spool it up tomorrow and fish it on Saturday!
I'll do another thread someday when I can get all the parts redone in the color I wanted.  For now it will remain the Ugly Duckling  ;D

Decker

When *someone* comes out with a side plate and/or frame kit for the 970, it will turn many ugly ducklings into golden geese  ;D

In the meantime, I would gladly trade a sweet-looking stock 970 for one with SS gear sleeve and double-dogged!

xjchad

Quote from: Decker on March 29, 2018, 06:41:51 PM
When *someone* comes out with a side plate and/or frame kit for the 970, it will turn many ugly ducklings into golden geese  ;D

In the meantime, I would gladly trade a sweet-looking stock 970 for one with SS gear sleeve and double-dogged!

Golden Geese! I like that Joe!

xjchad

Finally got it put back together last night!
Handle arm and star from Adam.
T-bar knob, stainless sleeve, and stainless dogs (double) from Smooth Drag.
Shift lever from Cortez Conversions.
5 stack drag from Bryan.
Adjustable Mag upgrade from yours truly.
New bearings from Penn Parts.
Not too pretty, but should kick butt  ;D

bhale1

Nothing Ugly about that reel Chad, looking good!
Brett

Alto Mare

Chad, how did you get that arm black?...very nice tool you got there ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Thanks guys!

Sal, I just sanded the pieces with some 800 grit, cleaned with acetone, and sprayed them with some rustoleum  ;D

Pretty sure I saw a black one on a reel you did too?  What was your method?

xjchad

Well I just installed and will be testing a Motive Fab Insert Kit.(more to come on that later)
I've also changed out the handle and mounted it on this sweet Diawa Emcast Surf rod that Brett was kind enough to send me after seeing that I was interested in one that another member posted a picture of.  THANK YOU BRETT!
I'm hoping to put this thing to the test in the next couple of weeks!

Decker

Chad, what size is that Daiwa rod?  I have an 11 footer that is great.   You put a cast control knob on the reel...

mo65

Great lookin' combo Chad! I really like the Emcast surf rods. I mounted my Shakespeare 2065 project on an Emcast, great rod for the money. Good luck fishing that killer combo! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~