over-greasing a reel.

Started by alantani, February 18, 2018, 11:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

You can also bring the solid out & back into the braid a few times finishing with 3 nail knots. However Lee's idea Ilike & it should work quite well... Jeff

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on February 19, 2018, 11:44:06 PM
Quote from: alantani on February 19, 2018, 11:29:13 PM
that's never a problem!   ;D

are you talking about a serve?  that would be solid running 5 feet inside the hollow with the knot or serve at the end of the hollow. 

Jerry does it that way, run the solid into the hollow then tie a knot where the solid enters the hollow.  I serve like normal then pull the knot to the serving.

If you do that, you don't need to go in 5 feet. Likely 6" would be sufficient.

A wonder person in the fishing industry also taught me to insert the solid into hollow then tie an overhand knot for a quick splice. She said as long as your drag is well less than the breaking strength of the knot, you will be fine.

For example, threading 80# solid into 80# hollow. Let's say the overhand knot is 50% strength. If your sag is well below 40#, like 30#, the knot would not likely break the line and you have a good splice.  I've dont this for solid to hollow to fluorocarbon with great results. Fast and easy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

So, should we change the title of this thread? :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 20, 2018, 01:04:19 AM
So, should we change the title of this thread? :-\

We can split the thread
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

hmmm, i'd worry that the solid would break at the square knot.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

The knot only keeps the solid from slipping past the serving, the hollow grabs the solid by compression.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

i dunno know, lee.  if that square knot breaks, there will be no tail for the remaining hollow to hold onto.  this is something we need to test!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

I beleive what Lee describes has more merit than some may think. But for it to work proper the hollow will need to be inserted further than a few inches as stated in some ones prior post.

In my opinion its just asking for trouble when making a splice with hollow & not inserting it at least a few feet. Regardless of method used. However if some one has something that clearly stands in opposition with my thoughts here I'm all hoping to learn something new

I will again restate another method I've used for sometime now.

Run the solid into the hollow at least 3' then bring the solid outside of the hollow then reinsert it about an inch from where you brought it out. Then run  about a foot more solid into the hollow past where you brought it out & back in  Strech it all out tight & smooth then place a serve or 3 nail or uni knots starting about 2"   from the end, toward the rest of the solid thats placed inside the hollow. Seperating all 3 nail knots about an inch or more.

Clear as mud ? Much easier to show than explain... Jeff