penn 349 main gear inserts?

Started by gstours, December 16, 2017, 05:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

I was wondering if anyone has made or is still making a hex or oct drag insert for the penn 349 gear?   Seems like a 113h kit might be close enough to be modified?   Any comments I wll bite on.  ???   Thanks.

mikeysm

scrinch

I just bought one a month or so ago. Send a PM to Three se7ens and see if he has any left..

canoecaper

Greets,

Had a package to the UK from Motive Fab.
113H kit Stainless insert.  114H kit Brass insert.
In both cases, fitted to SS high speed gear set options, from Magic Mo.
The Challenger sets I believe.

The brass insert was a driven fit (using a lead shot soft hammer) into the main gear.
The brass even self trimmed to fit.  Never coming out.  Excellent heat transfer capabilities.  Minimum area loss from the insert.
Off the top, pulls an easy 45lb.  Would go to at least 50lbs.  Considerably more than the very worthy 9 element "Ultimate stack" that came out.
That stack, topped at 40lbs, same reel.  More friction from the Ti washers maybe.
Matched to my 50 / 80lb Cousins bottom fishing blank, 20 to 25lbs is both ideal and silky smooth.  I can now sit back on skate, halibut and big eels.
Not bad for a reel Penn rate at 21lbs.
I can also service the stack, very easily, through the old school side plate.
This old style reel could have gone with a taller insert and another drag pair.  Not possible, I gather for later models.
For me though, absolutely not needed.
A major success.

The SS insert for the 113H high speed challenger set is regrettably a drop out fit.
A thicker insert that I had to hold in place with electricians tape.  No heat path, loss of potential friction area and slightly undersized Ti washers as well.
Neverthless, it pulls at well over 25lbs and is silky with it.  Again, more than enough for my use.
I would have been content with this SS insert if I hadn't already fitted his proper engineers solution to the 114H.

Best Rgds.

Keta

Quote from: gstours on December 16, 2017, 05:23:54 PM
   I was wondering if anyone has made or is still making a hex or oct drag insert for the penn 349 gear?   Seems like a 113h kit might be close enough to be modified?   Any comments I wll bite on.  ???   Thanks.

I have Motive Fab inserts in 2 of my 349H reels. 

The 113H gear (ID 1.072") is too small to use a 113H insert in a 349 gear (ID 1.123") and the 349H gear is much larger.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

The Penn 118 insert is aluminum. It should dissipate heat real well.