Re: Super Lube

Started by Midway Tommy, February 24, 2018, 04:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Sid - yes the grease leaks oil over a period of time - separates/splits - whatever you want to call it. I had Mercury Quick Silver 2-4-C in a large grease gun - where it was hanging a small puddle of oil formed underneath. I guess, but don't know for sure, this is down to petroleum products. Fully sythetic greases don't seem to do that - at least not yet :-\

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 26, 2018, 06:59:07 PM
Sid - yes the grease leaks oil over a period of time - separates/splits - whatever you want to call it. I had Mercury Quick Silver 2-4-C in a large grease gun - where it was hanging a small puddle of oil formed underneath. I guess, but don't know for sure, this is down to petroleum products. Fully sythetic greases don't seem to do that - at least not yet :-\
Synthetic grease will also get soft and eventually leak out of the gun. No matter what color grease you'll use, eventually it will all turn Black and I don't mean hardened.
When the Tank came back to me from Alaska, where it really got a workout, I opened it up to see how everything looked.
Most of the grease in that reel was Black, it happens from the carbon fiber washers dust wixed with Cals.
I've seen this a few time, it isn't anything new to me.
Black is a dominant color.

Sal

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

I have had 5 tubes of Super Lube sitting on my desk top/cap down for over 5 years. I opened a tube a couple of days and it was the first one that had a little liquid in the cap end of it. I put the cap back on, kneaded it a little and it was right back to normal. I don't think synthetic, or any other type of grease for that matter, was manufactured for that long of shelf life, especially stored cap/spout down. I refuse to use a gun just because, no matter how good the quality of the gun, they all will drip a little.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tiddlerbasher

Fair point Tommy - but I was thinking of weeks/months not years.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Gobi King on February 26, 2018, 05:17:54 PM
Sticky = what?

I opened up a reel and the grease was like glue, what is the purpose of being sticky? s

A certain level of tackiness is for helping the greese stay put & not slide off or from where they are placed . As the velocity of working parts increases so does the need for more stickyness or capacity to adhere to the surface of parts. For purposes we dont need a an extremely tacky greese. It's not a big deal just makes things harder when it comes time to service... Jeff

gumpie44

I Have Used Super Lube For Decades.... Have Both Penn & Mitchell Reels In My Collection. Lived In So. Cal From 1970-1995 Used Mostly Penn Reels For Salt Water, But Some Mitchells Went To Sea As Well. Used Penn Lube On Conv. Reels,  But Super Lube On All The Spinners, never had a  problem With Lubrication,  but Salt Water Was Hard On The Finish Of The Mitchells. The Smaller Mitchell 300 Series Reels Had Plates That Slid Against Each Other For Spool Oscillation, , Super Lube Never Got Sticky, Worked Very Well In Those Type Reels. For Simplicity I Used Penn Grease In Conventional Reels, Super Lube in All Others. Both Are Easy To Find And Inexpensive. Might Be Newer Products The Work As Well, But For This Old School Guy With Old School Gear, No Reason To Change, Bet Tommy Feels The Same.
Barry
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

Pro Reel

That's the only grease we use in my shop. I have tried several and always go back to super lube. I buy it in a case of 1 lb cans. The normal thickness is #2. You can buy it from superlube in several viscosities but only in larger purchases. I buy the super lube oil which is the same chemicals and is compatable and I then mix oil in a can of grease to get a thinner version that goes in my bearing packer. The thinned grease works great in pinion bearings on shimano freshwater reels that use a bearing around the outside of the pinion gear. I also use the thinned grease in chrankshaft bearings just to keep the reel turning easily.