Waterproof socks suggestions

Started by pjstevko, February 25, 2018, 06:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I just bought my first pair of wading boots and now need advice on waterproof socks brands.....

What brand waterproof socks do you wear when not wearing your stocking foot waders in your washing boots?

Thanks for the input

Pj

Bruce

I don`t remember a brand name but I believe the ones I used  were of GoreTex material .
Never had any experience using for fishing so don`t know how you will seal top . Always used waders  3 mill foam bootfoot in winter GorTex light waders summer .
Believe I purchased from REI or possibly Sierra Trading Post .

Luck Bruce
Buzz

Tiddlerbasher

I used to use calf length Goretex (Tres-Tex or similar material) socks with wading boots for splashing about 'cos they were comfortable, but they never seemed to be 100% water proof. Now I wear neprene wellington boots which are also comfortable, cheaper and 100% water proof. If I'm wearing wading boots I will be wearing stocking foot waders.

Benni3

Simms or korkers ? Backcountry has the best prices on these products :)

pjstevko

Quote from: Benni3 on February 25, 2018, 12:57:13 PM

I bought Redington Skagit wading boots from Sierra Trading Post for $50.......now I need waterproof socks

swill88

Quote from: pjstevko on February 25, 2018, 03:54:25 PM

I bought Redington Skagit washing boots from Sierra Trading Post for $50.......now I need waterproof socks

Are you going to use stocking foot waders?  They are waterproof. 

pjstevko

Quote from: swill88 on February 25, 2018, 05:22:28 PM

I bought Redington Skagit washing boots from Sierra Trading Post for $50.......now I need waterproof socks

Are you going to use stocking foot waders?  They are waterproof. 

I'll get stocking foot waders eventually..... Won't I still need a warm sock to wear in my waders? Obviously I'm new to all this which is why I'm asking all these questions...

Benni3

Simms makes the best waders and korker makes the best boots and i just wear two pairs socks  ;D

Gfish

Do ya mean wading boots, insteada "washing boots"?.

Sounds like maybe you're looking for good socks to wear with the boots but minus the hip 'er chest waders, for summer time conditions? In which case, it wouldn't matter if they were waterproof or not.
Definitely pays to protect the feet part of your waders, though(i.e., wear waders, socks outside the sock-part of the waders,and boots).
A cheap way is to get some heavy 70%+ wool socks. You can use them outside the waders, minus the waders with just the boots, or inside the waders, for more warmth and cushion. Cheap to replace when they wear-out.
They do make neopreme wading socks and as Benni3 mentioned, Simms got good quality stuff.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

pjstevko

Being a firefighter in California means the wading boots/socks won't get used when it's hot out so the socks will be primarily used in the fall, winter and early spring so warmth is a huge reason why I'm looking at quality socks to wear with my boots.

Keep the suggestions coming! I appreciate all the info

erikpowell

You could try a pair of fleece socks like Patagonia Capiline or and REI equivalent.
There are usually 3 or more weights available, expedition weight being the thickest and warmest.
Also a pair of good quality snowboarding socks should be similar. See Burton or REI again.
I usually wore my snowboarding socks with my waders.
Smartwool is another brand that works.

While fleece is not waterproof it will retain nearly its full insulation value when wet and not get too heavy like cotton or wool.
You can squeeze them out to damp if they get wet and they will still keep your feet warm back in the boot.

For additional waterproofing you can also double these with a pair of OR (Outdoor Research) GoreTex oversocks.

kmstorm64

Quote from: pjstevko on February 25, 2018, 06:43:22 AM
I just bought my first pair of wading boots and now need advice on waterproof socks brands.....

What brand waterproof socks do you wear when not wearing your stocking foot waders in your washing boots?

Thanks for the input

I don't use a waterproof sock, I do use Thorlo wool blend socks, and have during the last 20 years of my army national guard career, and used them for my Neoprene muckalucks when kayak fishing, I have never had cold wet feet, damp feet yes, but never cold.  Wool does a great job even when wet. I wore them in the deserts of Kuwait and Iraq, Skiing in the Tahoe area, waded trout streams, hiked a bizzallion trails, and they are always good to go. I give Thorlo's a two thumbs up!  Worth every penny! And I have a solid 30 pairs.

Pj
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!