My Daughter's Delmar

Started by xjchad, February 25, 2018, 11:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

I started them off with push a cheap push button rod and reel.  I tied on a lure with no hooks, taught them the basics of timing the release and then just let them have fun with it in the back yard.  They picked it up quick.  My daughter is 9 and my son is 7 (the oldest 2) and they can both cast spinning gear great now.  I try to take the kids fishing one at a time, but I did learn quick that if I'm taking more than one, then I don't bring gear for myself.  It was hard to do the first time, but much more fun!  ;D
I've also learned that it's important while they are learning to pick a spot where the chances of catching something are 100%.  Even if it's a bluegill pond.  I take them to a dock in the harbor.  There's not much to catch except small white croaker, but they are plentiful and the bite is always hot.  As long as they are catching something it will keep them interested and excited.  Now that they have done that a few times, it's easy to see who really likes to FISH and who just wants to CATCH.  Now I'll only take my daughter to the dock or the pier, but I know my son can take a day of trying new spots and not catching much, because he loves to FISH.
Like Don said, just go do it! 
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Gfish

There ya go Joe. Spincasters with some before-hand practice. "Who can put it in ring", use somethin like a hula-hoop 'bout 15yds. out. Still gonna be next to impossible for you to wet a line when you go with 'em though.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!