A Penn 430ss on the Cheap

Started by mo65, March 01, 2018, 06:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: festus on March 02, 2018, 12:25:26 AM
Mike, you did a great job on that reel, money well spent on parts. 

I've been checking prices on the 420ss, 430ss, 714 and 716 series and they aren't cheap. 

Other than the metal spool, how does the feel of your reel compare to the Shakespeare 2052?

Thanks for the compliment Festus. Yes indeed, the prices of Penn's little guys are through the roof but what can a guy do? I guess as long as you don't spend over market value...you can always get your money back...folks are lined up waiting for these reels to hit the auction sites. On reels this size, I see no need for a metal spool. I can catch 1-5 pound fish for all eternity on a plastic spool. I've never seen a plastic spool fail on a reel this small. I guess if you spooled on some mono too tight you may bust one, but why would anyone wrap it on so tight? It ain't a tuna reel...it holds a hundred yds. of 8lb. mono...just wind it on finger tight. In comparison, if you were blindfolded, and had earplugs in so you couldn't hear the 2052's AR dog, I doubt you could tell which reel was which. The designs are just too similar not to feel identical. The 2052 is a jewel waiting to be discovered. I think there are like a dozen of us in the world who love the reel. It deserves a bigger fan base. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

ez2cdave

Quote from: mo65 on March 02, 2018, 12:57:19 AM
It ain't a tuna reel...it holds a hundred yds. of 8lb. mono...just wind it on finger tight.

I was curious about the line capacity of the 430SS . . . Mono  300/4 • 240/6 • 160/8

Tight Lines !

Jenx

I recently purchased a 430ss, and I was surprised to find that the drag knob had a hole in the center of it where the spool shaft peaks out. I thought maybe it was missing a piece, as I briefly owned a 550ss once and I remember the drag knob not having an opening, but I see its the same in your pictures. Was the reel really built with a big opening where water can get in?

Reel 224

Mike: Nice restore on the 430SS only thing I would have done was put more grease in the gear box, but that's my A-R illness. ;D

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

George6308

They are adictive but worth the effort. Nice job. Still cheaper than any of the newer reels on the market place. I am interested in how the paint holds up. I just did a 710z in black but I used Brownell's Aluma-Hyde which is epoxy based.
That reel will still be fishing with your grandkids.

handi2

The paint looks great. Another saved reel.

Great job..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ez2cdave

Quote from: Jenx on April 18, 2018, 07:58:49 PM
I recently purchased a 430ss, and I was surprised to find that the drag knob had a hole in the center of it where the spool shaft peaks out. I thought maybe it was missing a piece, as I briefly owned a 550ss once and I remember the drag knob not having an opening, but I see its the same in your pictures. Was the reel really built with a big opening where water can get in?

There is suposed to be a Silver pushbutton in the center of that "hole" . . . That is the release mechanism for the spool .

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Tight Lines !

mo65

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 18, 2018, 09:25:45 PM
Mike: Nice restore on the 430SS only thing I would have done was put more grease in the gear box, but that's my A-R illness. ;D

Joe   

This is one of the joys of freshwater fishing Joe...no pesky salt protection needed! 8)

Reel 224

Quote from: mo65 on April 20, 2018, 03:07:48 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on April 18, 2018, 09:25:45 PM

Joe   

This is one of the joys of freshwater fishing Joe...no pesky salt protection needed! 8)

Mike: That is absolutely true, I have fished fresh water for years had a boat and fished with my son. I fish salt water most of my life also. The difference as you said is the prep with the two steps.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

happyhooker

Despite all the issues, it IS a nice reel, so enjoy it.  All the work that got put into it--you'll remember it for a long time.

Frank

mo65

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 20, 2018, 03:32:05 PM

Mike: That is absolutely true, I have fished fresh water for years had a boat and fished with my son. I fish salt water most of my life also. The difference as you said is the prep with the two steps.

Joe 

I recently serviced a DAM Quick 330 for the "other" Joe...hee hee...Decker that is. It was kinda fun, I took a brush and swabbed the whole insides with Penn blue, since he'll be fishing saltwater. I have a few of my own reels that I have also prepped for salt use...in the event I ever get lucky enough to make it back to a coast.

Quote from: happyhooker on April 20, 2018, 03:59:43 PM
Despite all the issues, it IS a nice reel, so enjoy it.  All the work that got put into it--you'll remember it for a long time.

Frank

You're right Frank, it is one of the sweetest, most solid feeling reels I own. Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for all the others' kind words too.

Shark Hunter

It is only 12 hours away Mo. ;D
I was just there two weeks ago, and will be back two weeks from now. ;D
It is Exhilarating!
Whether I catch anything or not.
It is not from a lack of trying.
The Gulf is alive with everything.
Most people just sit in their chairs and read a book.
I'm scanning, checking out the sand bar situation.
Casting out some plugs when no one is in the water.
Watching the rays swim by, and planning my attack when they all leave at dusk.
Most of them see nothing, but what they want to.
I come for the excitement that they don't see right under their noses. ;)
Life is Good!

mo65

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 21, 2018, 05:54:58 AM
It is only 12 hours away Mo. ;D

Indeed buddy...indeed! My brother and I are going over to the Virginia Beach area in a few weeks. He has a few business meetings, but working around them we're going to do some pier fishing, maybe a head boat or two, just piddlin' around mostly. I told him I'd be happy to just feel the salt spray on my face...and sit down at one of those calabash seafood booffets...HA!  ;D

sandbar

Love the 430SS
My first spinning reel purchase many years ago. I've caught hundreds of trout,several large Cobia, saltwater cats galore, Redfish, Black Drum, and just about every small to medium size saltwater fish there is in Florida.
Rinsed and respected every trip. Put to the side for 10+ years and when attempting a re-spool I found a lot of corrosion on it. Can you strip the gold off of the spool and restore it?

sciaenops

nice restore, mo! love my inherited 420ss.