Penn 209 Direct Drive....

Started by steelhead_killer, March 02, 2018, 01:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Mike, I'm apparantly at the same place you are when veiwing this.

With out this peice being seperated or at least seeing the original drawings it begs more questions than it does answers. A curious thing to look at... Jeff

JRD

Quote from: mo65 on March 02, 2018, 08:29:20 PM
   Am I seeing this correct? It looks like the gear is turned around backwards on the gear post...it looks like the drag washer cutout is showing there at the top. ???
If so wouldn't the pinion need to be turned to mesh? Hmmm also looks like the ratchet is a separate piece from the sleeve

David Hall

I thought the same thing, someone put the gear in upside down?

sdlehr

Quote from: JRD on March 03, 2018, 01:27:30 AM
If so wouldn't the pinion need to be turned to mesh? Hmmm also looks like the ratchet is a separate piece from the sleeve
Nope, either way, right side up or up side down, the pinion will match the main gear
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

steelhead_killer

Ok so when the reel is in gear and you crank the handle with your thumb on the spool it has no drag.  Reel free spools as normal. If you take your hand off the handle and spin the spool it has drag and the handle spins with the gear in reverse.  The amount of drag is still star dependent.  The owner said that when you get the salmon close to the net you take your hand off the handle so that if and when the bad boy decides he is not ready and makes a final run you will not lose the fish to having a drag set to tight..

Thoughts?

Andy
><)))">