A brown Penn 711

Started by The Jim, March 10, 2018, 04:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Quote from: The Jim on March 29, 2018, 07:41:51 PM
Transition? Ok. How old would that put it? Would it have had silver and hardware originally?

(pic) of inside, side cover, metal.

No Jim —

I am sure that is how it left the factory.

Penn probably made a couple thousand of these, using the paint and gold anodizing that was on the 720Z's in bronze.

Like Tom said, then they transitioned to the black and gold reels.

711 is a little scarce — but likely not going to put the kiddos through college, or pay off the mortgage.

Just a left handed, well used, and capable reel.

Be nice if it had the badge.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Jim

Thinking about having it powder coated maroon. ☺

The Jim

Funny thing. Penn could make a reel that would last for decades, but couldn't keep thair decals on for more than a few months? ☺
I have an old Penn 440, and the decals fell off the first year. The bail spring broke after about ten years. Everything else is like new after about 35 years of fishing. ☺

sdlehr

Jim, if I can find you a 711 to paint purple (or whatever crazy color you want), would you be interested in a trade?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

basto

Quote from: foakes on March 29, 2018, 07:55:04 PM
Quote from: The Jim on March 29, 2018, 07:41:51 PM
Transition? Ok. How old would that put it? Would it have had silver and hardware originally?

(pic) of inside, side cover, metal.

No Jim —

I am sure that is how it left the factory.

Penn probably made a couple thousand of these, using the paint and gold anodizing that was on the 720Z's in bronze.

Like Tom said, then they transitioned to the black and gold reels.

711 is a little scarce — but likely not going to put the kiddos through college, or pay off the mortgage.

Just a left handed, well used, and capable reel.

Be nice if it had the badge.

Best,

Fred

Hi Fred
I find it fascinating that a spin reel with the handle on the right hand side is called a left handed reel, which kinda puts the emphasis on which hand holds the rod.
This seems to only apply to spin reels. A conventional with handle on right hand side is called a right handed reel.
No criticisms meant, just making an observation.
cheers
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

Quote from: The Jim on March 30, 2018, 04:05:59 AM
Funny thing. Penn could make a reel that would last for decades, but couldn't keep thair decals on for more than a few months? ☺
I have an old Penn 440, and the decals fell off the first year. The bail spring broke after about ten years. Everything else is like new after about 35 years of fishing. ☺

Hi Jim
This is why I like the way all the older reels had their model numbers and other information moulded into the side plates.
My first spinner was a 711 and I caught a 30lb tuna off the rocks with a bibbed nilsmaster lure with it.
Yes, I am one of the minority who turns a spinner with my right hand.
cheers
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Midway Tommy

Quote from: basto on April 05, 2018, 06:50:38 AM

Hi Fred
I find it fascinating that a spin reel with the handle on the right hand side is called a left handed reel, which kinda puts the emphasis on which hand holds the rod.
This seems to only apply to spin reels. A conventional with handle on right hand side is called a right handed reel.
No criticisms meant, just making an observation.
cheers
Greg

It also applies to fly reels, but those are the only two. Even spincasters are considered right handed if you crank with the right hand. I think it must be easier  for one to adjust & balance the outfit if the reel hangs below the rod. I never have been able to figure out why they changed the handed thing "in the middle of the stream".  :D I do know a few right handed guys that have switched to left handed casting reels as a matter of efficiency.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)