Jigmaster help

Started by Kalbi, August 25, 2018, 01:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalbi

Aloha, I'm new here and was hoping to get some help with an old Jigmaster my friend gave me.  It's smooth and appears to work well, but I noticed that there's a gap between a section of the left side clicker plate and the spool.  I've tightened down the bushing on left side to remove side to side play on the spool.  Runs well, but one section of the spool sticks out beyond the side plate a tiny bit.  If I loosen the bushing, the spool moves from side to side.  when all the way to the left, its fine.  When it shifts to the right, the spool sticks out beyond side plate again.  It looks as if the spool is crooked. I used a caliper to make sure the two side plates are evenly spaced around the entire reel, and it is. It it's a Jigmaster 500 with what looks like a Newell 501 aluminum spool, and an Accurate 501 frame.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Alto Mare

Welcome Kalbi, Sound like you will need one of these:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/26-155.aspx

Or you could cut a piece of thin metal and drop it into the handle side bushing as a spacer. Stainless steel would be best, but you could use aluminum from a soda can.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

If anyone would know, Sal would.
Post some pictures if you can.

Oh yeah, WELCOME!!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

bluefish69

Before you install the NEW Right Side Bushing loosen the Left Side Bushing. You could break something if you don't do this.

Then make adjustments as needed.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Kalbi

Thanks for the quick reply.  So, it sounds like you guys are saying that the right side bearing might be worn from use?  I'll go ahead and order the bearing.

Gfish

Yeah. That's too far over. If the new head-plate(right side) bushing dosen't do it you may haveta shim it as Sal was talkin bout. Last time I shimed a Penn bushing on the right side, I used a tiny piece of copper dog spring pushed down in there.
Nice lookin reel.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

If the bearing is worn there is a good chance that the end of the spool shaft is worn also. The shim in the bearing is probably your best route to equalizing the spool. Ends of spools & the bearings wear out abnormally because of tightening the left bearing adjustment to tight. It is supposed to have .0025-005" spool side play. The left bearing is not a cast control.     Rudy

foakes

Welcome aboard! —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Quote from: bluefish69 on August 25, 2018, 03:18:57 AM
Before you install the NEW Right Side Bushing loosen the Left Side Bushing. You could break something if you don't do this.

Then make adjustments as needed.

Mike

Yup!...great advice Mike!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JRD

That is a real gap!  Im surprised the spool shaft lugs aren't rubbing on the pinion.  Also check that your rings are seated all the way to the frame and the screws are not standing proud which will hold the head plate a bit away from the side plate.  Is the gear side plate being held away from the ring in other words, fully seated and locked in place by the take apart screw? so

PacRat

Since Jigmasters have quick-change spools; it's always good to have a spare spool anyway. As a first step I would recommend procuring a known good factory or aftermarket 501 spool. It will only take a minute to swap out and you will immediately know if your issue is with the Newell spool or your frame. I love those old Newell spools but sometimes the end-to-end fit is a little off. When this happens to me; I try another spool until I get one that fits. I'm assuming that the difference may be Newell 322 vs Penn 501. There are people here much more knowledgeable than me but I have also had your same issue. I'm away right now so I don't have access to measure and compare my spools.
Good luck
-Mike

Swami805

That's a pretty big gap, checking the spool would be a good idea,from the size of the gap it looks like a spool for a 322 newell. Measure the length of the handle side shaft, the round part of the shaft is about 16mm on a penn,about 19mm on a newell 322.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Kalbi

I measured the round part of the handle side shaft on the spool, it is 16mm. There is a .83mm gap between the right side plate and the reel frame.  Is this normal, or too much. I'll put some pics down below for you guys to see what I'm talking about.  I did order the bearing.  Hopefully that fixes the problem.  My friend has another Jigmaster 501 spool I can try.  I'll do that the next time I see him.  Thanks again for helping me troubleshoot this issue.

bluefish69

Back out the left side bushing about 4-6 turns & put the reel together. Then screw the bearing back in

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Kalbi

Big mahalo to everyone who offered advise.  The handle side bearing did the trick.  The tip about backing out the clicker side bearing before putting the side plate back on was also helpful.