Magging a reel. A couple of question

Started by Jenx, October 30, 2017, 05:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

Last year, after reading a couple of different websites, I magged a Penn 500 and a 100. I never got a chance to cast the 100, but I did get a chance to do some fishing with the 500, and the magnets worked like a charm, at least in preventing backlash. I might have actually over magged the reel as I really had to make an effort to get any overrun. The problem was that I no longer could get the line clicker to work. When ever I engaged the clicker the spool would become difficult to turn. I had magged the reels using the same technique I had seen in many tutorials, which was to glue some washers down and stack magnets on top of them. Once I noticed the clicker problem I removed the magnets from my reels.

Recently I acquired a Newell spool for my 100, and after installing it I discovered that the spool wouldn't turn. It was just locked in place. The only thing I can think of is the Newell spool doesnt have the same clearance as the Penn spool, and it is rubbing against the washers that are still glued to the frame (the spool works fine in my other 100, so it doesnt appear anything is wrong with the spool itself). So here are my questions: First, what is the best way to remove the washers from inside the plate (if possible) without damaging the plate? They were super glued on. Secondly, has anyone here managed to mag a Penn reel without disrupting the clicker? How about magging a reel with a Newell spool? Not being able to turn the spool with just washers on it doesnt give me hope that I can ever mag it, since I cant imagine I can find a washer magnet combo that would be thinner than the current single washer I have installed.

Thanks.

Cor

I am not sure how I would remove the washers, but would probably first try to just pull them off with pliers or lever them with a small device like a screwdriver or old chizzel.   Perhaps you can support the washers from the side then force something underneath?
Magnets come in all diameters and thicknesses and you can just experiment.   I usually get bye with one 9 X 3 mm magnet fitted about 0.7 - 1.2 mm from the spool and if it's adjustable from 0.3mm to 2 mm should be fine for a start.

If you need to use thinner magnets then you can go bigger circumference or fit two (or more) reversing the polarity +-+-.

I usually measure the gap between the spool and side plate by placing a bit of kiddies plasticine where you want the magnet and forcing the plate in place thereby squashing the plasticine to be able to measure the thickness.   (Plasticine thickness  - gap = thickness of washers and magnet)

Hope this helps.
Cornelis

Jenx

Measuring the gap with putty is a good idea. Thanks.

Jenx

**Update: I just discovered that it's not the washers preventing the Newell spool from spinning but the bushing. One of my 100's has a full Newell conversion, including the bushings. It was from this reel that I took the Newell spool out to use with my main Penn 100. Apparently the Newell spool wont work unless you pair it with the plastic Newell bushing ("Speed Bearings"). Considering the Newell bearing is an ugly brown plastic it looks like I wont be using that spool after all.

Thanks anyways. I still got some good info in here.

fishhawk

Jenx, I don't know the answer but something ain't right! The newell spool shoul work.????

Gfish

The problem with the 500/clicker then, has gotta be the magnets moving into clicker & spool ratchet. Might haveta glue the magnets down also.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mackereljoe

I would also think the Newell spool will work.  For super glued magnet I just put a screw driver and give it a weak tap, normally just comes off.  I mag all the jigmaster as they are my loaner reels, even with 4 magnets still gets birds nest since my friends refuse to use their thumb like a spinner.  You always just glue the magnet directly if clearance is an issue, no washer needed.  I use 1mm height for abu 6000 and up to 6 mm for the newer progear 3 stack of 2mm.