Youtube video

Started by TJAndrews, January 26, 2019, 12:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJAndrews

A youngster tries out an old reel he found in the family garage...

How many more DAM Quick reels languish in storage, forgotten, waiting to fish again????

Dominick

Pretty cool.  Wait until Fred sees it.  It should bring back some childhood memories.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

It brought back my memories of fishing in the farm ponds at night for catfish.In the 50s

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Quote from: Dominick on January 26, 2019, 01:49:57 AM
Pretty cool.  Wait until Fred sees it.  It should bring back some childhood memories.  Dominick

Heck, it brings back memories from last week!

When there is work to be done — a D.A.M. Quick just gets it done without breaking a sweat — before the new, flashy, Tupperware reels ever get out of bed...😁😁😁

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Quote from: foakes on January 26, 2019, 05:03:57 AM
before the new, flashy, Tupperware reels ever get out of bed...😁😁

Fred,

Please excuse me for taking this thread off topic,

But you mention a "Tupperware Reel"  and this old German's mind is saying, "Vas ist DAS????"

For me, please explain!

Tanks,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

festus

That 330 is overkill for bullheads, but no telling what else bigger lurks in those waters.  Those bullheads are very popular flathead catfish bait in my neck-of-the-woods.

foakes

It is just my "snide" word for plastic, Wayne —

While there are some good plastics that have been developed — IMO, nothing beats aircraft grade aluminum, steel, brass, bronze, and SS — for durability, dependability, repair, generational usefulness, and duration.

Quality tools are made of metal — toys are made of plastic.

With today's marketing — particularly pushing on us products that are designed to wear out in a few years and be tossed in the garbage — there are fewer choices between higher quality and lower quality. 

But the plastics look more modern — have more bling — and are cheaper to manufacture.

Fishing reels are no different. 

An observation: why are modern fishing reels promoted as higher quality just because they have 7, 10, or 13 bearings in them?  Because they need the bearings to support the work expected with a plastic resin type reel.  A simple designed spinning reel should only need 1 or 2 bearings.  The longevity comes from a mix of metals designed to work well with each other.  Bronze main gear mated with a steel worm pinion, steel crank shafts within brass bushings, cast aluminum frames with "0" tolerances built in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupperware

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TJAndrews

Quote from: foakes on January 26, 2019, 04:22:51 PM

An observation: why are modern fishing reels promoted as higher quality just because they have 7, 10, or 13 bearings in them?  Because they need the bearings to support the work expected with a plastic resin type reel.  A simple designed spinning reel should only need 1 or 2 bearings.  The longevity comes from a mix of metals designed to work well with each other.  Bronze main gear mated with a steel worm pinion, steel crank shafts within brass bushings, cast aluminum frames with "0" tolerances built in.

Even as old as it is, with just a little care and maintenance that kid could still be using that 330 in his retirement years. Try that with one of those "tupperware" reels and see how far you get.