Fishing Bib Suggestions

Started by pjstevko, March 22, 2018, 04:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I'm starting to gather gear for my first multi-day trip in the fall (actual date and trip to be determined) and need suggestions on fishing bibs.

They will only be used 3-4 times a year so I'm not looking to break the bank or go broke but I do understand buying quality will last a lifetime so I'm not looking at cheap off-brands either...

The brands I'm looking at are:

Grunden's: most used, function over form, too many models to choose from

Huk: blend of function and form, pricy

Helly Hensen: seem more like boating and sailing related as opposed to fish, I can get 50% retail prices

What brand and models do you use?

Keta

You can't go wrong with Helly Hansen or Grunen's.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

conchydong

Viking also makes decent products at a lower price range than the brands named. On a more expensive note, Guy Cotten bibs are well regarded.

Scott

theswimmer

Try this PJ.
What I wear on the big boat when needed.
http://www.apsltd.com/gill-os3-coast-trousers-mens.html
Way better than a slicker bib.....
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

On sale right now for  $109.00?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

thorhammer

Gruden's are  the choice of commercial waterman in NC; and if you need further endorsement that's what the Boss has on his boat. I have several but I found a set made by Frogg Togg that I wore out there with Alan and AT gang on Morro and SF Bay trips and found them quite to my liking for under $50. I have heavier more expensive stuff but i would recco these for as you say 4-5 uses per year and you have another $50 left over for a Columbia rain slicker / wind breaker, which is what i was using. If you need more warmth layer underneath.  These are actual nylon  / poly coated material, not the thin stuff of WalMart Frogg Togg rain suit (which also has it place as a compact JIC pack-away).

Cor

On the smaller boats we fish from, Waders with built in boots is a big No No!    If you go overboard, that may be the end of you, you can not swim with that stuff.
Cornelis

STRIPER LOU

I second with John on the Frogg Togg. I love the Grundens too, but man, by the end of the day it feels as if you've been carrying the whole world around.

I think My Frogg stuff was from ebay and if I recall, the price wasn't bad.

............Lou

Ron Jones

I have the Gill jacket that goes with those waders and it is great. Keeps you dry but has enough ventilation that you don't swamp yourself out.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

bibs

thorhammer

Wayne, Dominick, Mante (where are you hiding brother??? :), me, Steve (remember what you look like upright, buddy!) and Alan (in his Grunden's).

As I recall it maybe hit 55 that day but was misty and cool in the morning, third week of September on the Bay, and I was actually sweating at one point when sun came out. Dominick lent me a hat because my coconut was getting burned. I didn't think they had sun in the bay and didn't bring one lol.

boon

A lot of the commercial guys in these parts wear Stormline, and the pricing is pretty good from the big auction site, try listing 172640274674 for an example.

theswimmer

I bought my Gill jacket from an Am Vets second hand store in Oakland for $8.95 .
Still had the tag........

Errol Flynn

El Pescador

Quote from: thorhammer on March 22, 2018, 07:59:55 PM
Wayne, Dominick, Mante (where are you hiding brother??? :), me, Steve (remember what you look like upright, buddy!) and Alan (in his Grunden's)

To the Great & Powerful Thorhammer!!!!

I purchased this cheap $50 vinyl bibs 10 years ago on a trip to Kodiak, AK, use them 3-4 times a year, and they are still working great,

When they blow out, I'll get another cheap pair. 

What I like about them, you do stay dryer & warmer when the winds blow, or you get hit with sea spray.  The Mrs. appreciates cleaner pants to wash when I return home.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

jurelometer

Back in the day, Helly Hansen was a  favorite heavy duty foul weather gear  for the commercial guys on the west coast.  Don't know why Grundens are more popular now.  My old HH bib and jacket are still in fine shape other than the snap tab  tearing off the bib after the first two decades.   Even got an exhaust burn on the jacket  and it stayed waterproof. HH is worth checking out, esp.  if you are getting a discount.  Haven't tried Grundens,  but the commercial gear looks to be in  the same class as the HH stuff.   I would check if there is  some sort of commercial gear "lite".   Something that isn't quite so heavy duty.  I am with the other folks on this.

I would also get a jacket from the same line as the bibs that I chose.

The  commercial gear  I am familiar with has very thick PVC fabric with  heat welded seams.    Stiff, heavy, completely non-breathable and hot.   But it is the only option for heavy exposure to spray and assorted  macerated sea creatures.   If you are into that kind of stuff :)

-J