DIY Crimpers Project

Started by gstours, March 05, 2018, 05:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As winter seems to have a grip on to lessen some outdoor activities it promotes great thoughts and more improvements it seems.   

As an avid fisherman I thought of this project to make better crimps and provide me with some entertainment in my shop.  It started with having several crimpers already and wanted to see If I could make a larger crimp for 2.8mm crimps.

the project had a pair of 16 inch bolt cutters with poor quality jaws as the base for thought.

These had the power and leverage needed and were free.  So a piece of sst flatbar was welded to each side, top and bottom.

after some grinding the sides a drill was used to rough out the new crimp locations and sizes.

a round file cut the grooves quite nicely as it was not heat treated as before.  one was for 2.2mm and another for 2.8mm crimps.

this is a test crimp.  was quite easy with the increased leverage.  and adjustable with the wrench and bolt to stop the diameter of the crimp.   a good deal for me on the cheep.   no cost.   What do you think?   

A good crimp deserves another! ;)

Lets go Fishing.  :D

Tiddlerbasher

STRIPER LOU

Very cool Gary. That's a Man sized set of crimpers! I started a set of jaws to go in my bench vise and never finished them.

Ya just gave me some incentive to find them and get r done!

Glad to see you doing lots of projects, Its good for the mind.

Keep up the great work Bud,  ..  Lou

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

gstours

Thanks and yes,  years ago I used a bench vice to crimp harpoon and battery cables.  The flat sides will smash it down in a pinch.   These are way wider than hand swadgers and easy to use.   Invention is the mother of all evils.   Have fun.  Go fishing,!🧜‍♂️🎣🧜‍♂️

Tightlines667

I like it.

I have always thought someone could make a killing by selling a set of double-jointed crimpers with replaceable jaws that could handle all of the various sized and types of crimps.  The larger crimpers are typically only setup for 1 size crimp.

I like this one...

https://www.lindgren-pitman.com/390-hand-crimp-tool-standard-1004-ct.html

but it is pricy, and would be much better with replaceable jaws IMHO.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Good job Gary.  Now John has a good idea with changable jaws to handle all size crimps.  If you can come up with an working model for changable jaws we can try to get a patent and find a manufacturer that can produce them or one of our machinest members like Adam to make them.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Excellent invention, Gary!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

That's a perfect crimp Gary.

I use a bench crimper for our billfish lures.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

STRIPER LOU

Ya Gary, I'm thinking I like your idea better. I have a gift certificate for HF. Quality isn't perfect from there but it'll probably be fine for building a set like yours.

Keep at it Bud, your doing great. Them Butts don't stand a chance this season!

Regard's,   Lou

gstours

Yes it is of my opinion,  it's going to be fiss honn 😂.  I simply cannot justifie a hundredth dollar 💵 for what I could do in my little town,🛠  I sometimes have time,🔧  wife takes all the money 💰😫

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!