Tutorial for Penn 350 leveline

Started by Noviceman, December 01, 2017, 06:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I just don't know what to say about that video.

The leveline does not cast as well as squidders, surfmasters, etc. because of what Mo describes.  The line has to go up-and-over instead of just going out.
-steve

Gfish

Ok. So I took Fred's advice and lined my 350 spool with 40lb. ande mono. and trolled for 'bout 1.5 hours, before lure castin for a bit witha diffrent set-up. Got one Needlefish, not on the spoon, on the teaser fly above it(trolling). That's a first. When castin, those aggressive critters love silvery-flashey lures and usually grab it when it hits the water and starts sinkin.

The 350 is indeed a levelwinder. Had to catch myself and let the levelwinder do it's own thing every time I went to reel in. Very nice Penn. I'mna keep mine. The construction strength and design uniqueness  make it a collectable, fishable reel.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Update: found that the reel performs better with 30#, rather than 40# mono. I installed carbon-fiber drag washers and a 24-49 handle froma Sailfisher and left everything else stock. Based on Fred's posted info., I took an old cheapo Mariner(~$30) that I's gonna donate,  removed the 2nd from the bottom eye and moved the bottom(stripper) guide up to get the recomended 30" --- reel to 1st guide - distance. Functions well. She's a keeper!
I think these 350's are gonna be a serious collectors reel some day.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shark Hunter

Alright, I'm gettin' one of these.
Thanks for that Video Festus, but I have to say. If you are going to dehook a shark with a pair of needle nose, you are going to get bit.
It is just a matter of time. The smaller ones are the ones you need to watch. They are very quick.
I also like at the end of the Video, He said that Shark weighed 120 lbs. Ha, Ha, Ha!!!
30 on a good day.
Then the guy releasing it was lucky he didn't get bit also.
That is not how you do a proper release.
You drag them tail first into the water. All he was doing was filling his gills with sand.
Sorry, but These guys are Amateur at best, waiting to get bit.
You drag them in deep enough water and they will swim away.
Click on the zip file to watch.
Life is Good!