lefty Cortez Conversion Squidder

Started by Petah, March 24, 2018, 07:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petah

Here's my solution for converting a Cortez Conversion Squidder to left handed.
Pretty simple!! Tom was generous and sent me one of his reels to see if it was possible.
There's no way to move the dog to the opposite side. So, with a little vision I came up with this.

All I did was flip the original dog over, file down the side with the hole for the dog spring to fit and have
enough clearance to ratchet. Filed a little bit off the top. Drilled a hole for the dog spring. Luckily there
is a cut-out already machined there that is perfect. Filed the ratchet end to fit the A/R gear!!!

Re-assembled the reel and mounted it to a rod and pulled drag with the line tied off to a post. Seems
to work fine. Will know more once I pull on some fish!!!!

xjchad

Nice work!
(I can't see the pics, have you tried imgur or postimages.org?)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Dominick

Quote from: xjchad on March 27, 2018, 05:49:09 AM
Nice work!

I can see the photos clearly but I don't understand it.  The only way it makes sense is if a left hand kit replaced the gears and sleeve.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

xjchad

Quote from: Dominick on March 27, 2018, 08:23:13 PM
Quote from: xjchad on March 27, 2018, 05:49:09 AM
Nice work!

I can see the photos clearly but I don't understand it.  The only way it makes sense is if a left hand kit replaced the gears and sleeve.  Dominick

Dominick, I think that's what he did, replaced the sleeve with a lefty sleeve and reversed the dog.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Petah

xjchad is correct Dominick. I should have explained better. Got a left handed bridge/sleeve and drag star
and a  (lefty dog that I couldn't use) from Scotty's. The only issues are the eccentric lever pushes forward to
dis-engage gears and the clicker is at the front of the reel. Hope that clears things up!!!

Peter

swill88

Nice!  Great job Peter and great pics too.  Thanks.