Buyer Beware

Started by Maxed Out, April 09, 2018, 10:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhale1

Argh.....Ted,
I didn't bite on the "clamp bolt"....but you're driving me crazy😀😀😀
I've been "googling" pics of the reel, just to see what might be "amiss", to no avail!
Thanks for reminding me that I still have "a lot ". , and I mean lots to learn...that's what make this so much fun for me😀
Glad to have you back!!!
Brett

Maxed Out

Well Brett, if you see a wide 49 with beat up chrome for $60, buy it as fast as you can

The super wide plastic spool is the key ingredient that makes this reel worth $100 in rough condition. Around $200 in mint condition.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

I believe I saw a post awhile back with one with a white plastic spool but searches aren't my strong suit. Could have been a vivid halucination too. Odds are 50/50
Do what you can with that you have where you are

broadway

Sheridan, I think that was either a jiggy 500 or 155 with the white spool but I've been wrong a few times. ::)
Nice find, Ted! Them there ain't easy to find especially with me looking, lol.
Thanks
Dom

Swami805

I think you're right Dom but the post was by  AC49, Just a mild halucination. 500 and 155 in white. Gotta lay off eating moldy bread!

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

AC49

Yip the Penn 49A from my side of the world. BTW the wide spool 49 reels are called 49A reels but the older select few had the A on the sideplate.
Regards
AC49

AC49

The white spool 49A without the A on the sideplate.

AC49

The Penn 49A spool is not a plastic spool. It is reinforced fiberglass spool and can handle some serious punishment.
Regards
AC49

Swami805

I wasn't hallucinating. That's a relief. Man those are nice

AC49

Some of my 49A collection.

Regards
AC49

CapeFish

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 10, 2018, 04:11:38 AM

Well Brett, if you see a wide 49 with beat up chrome for $60, buy it as fast as you can

The super wide plastic spool is the key ingredient that makes this reel worth $100 in rough condition. Around $200 in mint condition.

I keep seeing the darn things in pawn shops here for about a 3d of that price, but they are getting scarcer

Maxed Out

Now there's some sweet 49A's

That white spool looks unused and not yellowed a bit like other penns I've seen with white spools

The 49A is rather uncommon and boxes are even more uncommon....

.....thanks for sharing pics of your treasures
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

AC49

Ted the before and after pictures of the white 49A spool shows that "yellowed" look you are referring to. It took a bit of cleaning  ;)
Thanks for the compliments.
Regards
AC49