Where to find part for 2052dc?

Started by JNG3, April 17, 2018, 12:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JNG3

The plastic bushing surrounding the main shaft assembly is cracked/split. The part # is x20. The big auction site does not seem to have any. Where else/who else might have one? Thanks.   

festus

It'll probably be difficult to find that part without ordering another reel that's for parts only and salvaging it.  When I bought my first 2052 about a week later I found another one on eBay for a small sum that was listed for parts only.  This second reel just needed the dried grease removed then it worked perfectly.  These reels are built so well it would be difficult to wear out something unless it was plastic.

Midway Tommy

With obsolete parts like that, sometimes you have to find a smaller nylon or plastic tube or washer and just make a new bushing using the old one as a pattern. It can be tedious and time consuming work. I've made numerous parts when I couldn't find a replacement. Parts reels can be an option but many times the part a guy needs, depending why it needs to be replaced, is worn on the parts reel, too.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Jim, is it this piece the red arrow points to?  Rear drag washer.  That's the only thing plastic I see in mine.  You may find something similar, maybe a rubber washer at a hardware store and trim it some.

mo65

I looked at the 2052 schematic and I believe Festus is on the right track. The schematic lists the main shaft assembly itself as part #X-20 and the rear drag washer as part #X-7R. That washer is indeed leather like the other drag washers inside the spool. If yours is well worn, it will appear black and shiny, kinda rubbery. Here's a photo of that washer on my 2052. It can be replaced with about anything...leather, teflon, delrin, or carbon fiber. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JNG3

Festus and Mo65-

The schematic does list x20 as an assembly. The plastic bushing that is cracked on mine is immediately in front of the arrow in the picture. On both of yours it appears to be made of metal. The spool and drag washers surround it when the reel is assembled. It has two flats on it if that helps.

festus

Mine is the EE model so it's about a dozen years older than the DC model.  Looks like there may have been a change in the latter made reels.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JNG3 on April 18, 2018, 02:07:10 AM
Festus and Mo65-

The schematic does list x20 as an assembly. The plastic bushing that is cracked on mine is immediately in front of the arrow in the picture. On both of yours it appears to be made of metal. The spool and drag washers surround it when the reel is assembled. It has two flats on it if that helps.

You are kind of up crap creek on that one. I've got a DA & a DC. The DA has a metal click gear and metal bushing. The DC has a one piece gray soft plastic click/bushing combo. I doubt you you will find that part anywhere. You could have one made using your old one for a pattern if you know someone with a 3D Printer. Otherwise, you'll probably have to pick up a cheap beat up DA or a Ted Williams III to get a decent main shaft that will last. Those shafts should interchange.

That was one of the ways Shakespeare cheapened the later models of the "Royal Maroon" series.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

If you could post a photo of the cracked part — I would look through my bins for you.

Assuming that it is like the metal piece that the spool assembly rides on?  Only plastic.

If you post a photo, and I have the part, I could send it out at N/C.  

This is a shaft out of a 2052 that I could use to test fit for you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Festus and Mo65-

I do believe it's this little section.  On my two reels it's made of metal but even though it looks like it can be removed, I can't get it off.

JNG3

Festus-

Yes, that bushing that is circled in the picture is made of plastic on mine and has a crack running parallel to the main shaft. This kind of sucks as I believe the reel is NIB and has never been used. The drag knob was been very tight when I took it out of the box. I believe someone in the past over tightened the drag and that was what possibly damaged the bushing.

Foakes-

That is a very generous offer. Thank you. When I get home from work I will attempt to post a picture.

mo65

Festus and Mo65-
The plastic bushing that is cracked on mine is immediately in front of the arrow in the picture. On both of yours it appears to be made of metal.

Yes indeed...mine is metal...like Festus I have the EE model. I don't have any Shakespeare parts either, darn it. Hey, how bad is that bushing cracked? Can it be epoxied? ???
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

The click gear and bushing are one piece and it won't slide off. I think it was probably installed onto the heated shaft. The flat sides position the drag washers so they function properly. If it was removable then it would spin on the shaft rather than holding the washers correctly with the spool spinning on the bushing portion when line is being played out with the drag. The linear split on those is quite common, especially when the drag knob is tightened down for long periods. One of the big downfalls of plastic parts, they get old and brittle, and then crack with expansion/contraction. You might try picking up an appropriate sized nylon tube/ferrule at the hardware store, cut the old bushing off about an 1/8 - 3/16" above the click washer, remake the top portion out of the nylon tube/ferrule and glue it on with epoxy or JB Weld. I suppose you could try to mold the top portion of the bushing with JB Weld & file it down to fit but that would be a difficult fit since it's such a small diameter. Probably your only other option is trying to find a replacement main shaft.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

JNG3

OK, I took 3 pictures. Now I need to figure out how to post the pics.

I'll add these pics for Jim — Best, Fred...

Midway Tommy

Those may have even been molded directly on the shaft rather than hot set. If you look inside the split you'll see a couple of grooves that are more than likely to hold the plastic in place. There is no joint under the washer between the bushing portion and the click gear.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE