Tiburon 20/0 Kits for Penn 14/0 & 16/0 Are A Go! Please Read & Confirm Orders

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, April 18, 2018, 06:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Quote from: landlubber on December 31, 2021, 05:28:02 PM
I'm in for the next run , black  and Cortez plates

Hi Jerry —

These likely will not be available.

Randy — owner of Vintage Offshore Tackle, and Tom — owner of Cortez Conversions — made these available to folks with the promise that there would only be (20) sets produced.

The fit, workmanship, and engineering on these frames, spools, and side-plates is above and beyond — in all ways.

It is possible that one of the buyers of this unique, one-of-a-kind 20/0 Penn reel would choose to sell their reel — at some point.

And that would be the only way to get one at this time.

The frames are engraved individually and numbered as one of the 20.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mikeysm

They won't be making anymore 20/0 frames or side plates. Its just not cost effective.

Mike

mikeysm

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: mikeysm on February 03, 2022, 05:48:58 PM
Randy how about a 16/0 frame and spool is that possible.

Mike

Mike, I sold all of my big Senators except for my 20/0 and haven't found any good deals on any nice 16/0s recently.

mikeysm

Randy the problem is everyone wants to put these reels on the shelf and look at them instead of using them.

54bullseye

Hi John Taylor here. I think I saw a post on spooling these reels somewhere on this board but I can't find it. I have never spooled up my 20/0 and am looking to do so. I had a nice rod built by my buddy Dave Turner " droppedit " on this board RIP Dave !!! Now I am finally going to spool up the reel. Having such a large capacity I am going to go with at least 200 lb test possibly 300 lb line and am trying to decide between Dacron or Hollow braid ??? Has anyone loaded there 20/0 reels up with either ?? I know the Dacron will be cheaper and that many North East Bluefin Tuna fisherman do use Dacron. Even many of the boats in P.E.I. use Dacron because it's cheap and it works !! Remember capacity isn't a problem.

I would like to hear what you guys think ?? Keep in mind it is going to take a lot of line to fill $$$$$$ so 300 lb test isn't out of question and the Dacron is easily spliceable. I won't use the rig much but like to go Tuna fishing when I have a chance so I want it set up for Giant Bluefin. I will use top shot of 200 lb Momoi mono.

Let me know your thoughts ???    Thanks  John

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

thorhammer

John, as far as I know, Benni is the only guy that used his, for Goliath grouper, so he can tell you what went on it. I think he backed with a bunch of braid, then a bunch of 200 lb mono. RIP Dave. Miss that guy, did really nice rod work.

John

54bullseye

Quote from: thorhammer on February 07, 2022, 03:21:19 PM
John, as far as I know, Benni is the only guy that used his, for Goliath grouper, so he can tell you what went on it. I think he backed with a bunch of braid, then a bunch of 200 lb mono. RIP Dave. Miss that guy, did really nice rod work.

John
Okay thanks !!  I am gonna use 300 lb JB hollow.   John

Vintage Offshore Tackle

John, as you probably know, braid can trap saltwater and cause corrosion.  You might want to search some older posts for suggestions about how to wax the spool to prevent corrosion, unless you are planning to store the line off of the reel between seasons.

I think that you could save a lot of money by using 200lb. Dacron instead of 300 lb Spectra.  The reel would hold plenty, and it would be very difficult to break it unless you really tried.

That's just my two cents.  Can't wait to see your photos!

Randy

54bullseye

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on February 07, 2022, 06:40:08 PM
John, as you probably know, braid can trap saltwater and cause corrosion.  You might want to search some older posts for suggestions about how to wax the spool to prevent corrosion, unless you are planning to store the line off of the reel between seasons.

I think that you could save a lot of money by using 200lb. Dacron instead of 300 lb Spectra.  The reel would hold plenty, and it would be very difficult to break it unless you really tried.

That's just my two cents.  Can't wait to see your photos!

Randy

Thanks Randy and I hear what your saying about the corrosion in storage but I think the Dacron might be worse ?? Also they say the Dacron will be more apt to rot if put away wet. Also I really don't want to have the stretch that you would get with that amount of mono either !! So I think the braid even though more expensive is the better choice, Gonna be about a hundred bucks or so more for braid verses Dacron and I will wax the spool !!

I mounted the reel on my rod last night and only fault I find is I think reels foot might be a little light. I think with the rod clamp and both the front and back turnbuckle rod braces to reel it will be fine but I would be worried about it with out turnbuckle braces !! At least for Giant Bluefin Tuna !! I don't have to tell you about there power especially fighting one out of a rod holder. And boy they are wide !! I had to get longer bolts for the turnbuckles !! I will try and get some pictures up but I am picture stupid the way the system is now. Even thought I have had two people school me LOL !!!   John Taylor

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I hear what you are saying about the size of the base John, but it was designed to be used with the rod braces, and I'm sure that if the turnbuckles are properly adjusted it will be fine.  In any event, the Tiburon base, which is machined out of a solid block of aluminum, is way stronger than the stock stamped Penn base.  I once made the mistake (out of laziness) of testing a stock 16/0 on a stand up rod without using the rod clamp or braces and the feet folded up like they were made out of lead.

On a separate subject, and this is just my uneducated opinion, the mechanicals of that reel were designed in the 1930's to handle the stress of 130 lb. line.  If you can hammer down the drag to 100lbs to fish the 300 lb. line I don't know if the internal parts are going to handle it, but I do hope that you are going to get the chance to find out.

54bullseye

Randy you're 100% right about the innards of these reels being designed for 130 lb line not 200 or 300 lb ! Luckily I had the MASTER Sal soup mine up a bit !! He put a bunch of goodies in it along with double dogs, big drag stack and a bunch of other stuff. I told Sal to do his thing LOL !!! And I agree the reel will be fine with the turnbuckle braces !!  Thanks for getting back to me.  John

Benni3

It will hold anything,,, ;) no problem,,,, :) I broke the inside of two hold holders before the drag washers whent out,,,,, 8) if I had to do it over I would probably but 200 or 300lb mono on it,,,,,,,,, ;D

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him